1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Ric tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Presto2112, May 11, 2011.

1. How do you get that geddy lee ric tone, hemispheres and permanent waves to be more specific, Yes I know you need a ric, that I've established

2. Plunger

Plunger

May 6, 2011
    Sterling, VA
    Are you talking live or recorded tone? I think you asked a similar question back in April, and got some great answers. Being a huge Rush fan myself, I have tried many things, from owning a 4001, to various overdrives. Right now, my Warwick Streamer LX with a low distortion mix from the SourceAudio MWBDP makes me happy. I would have to say, as others have, it's 75% the way he plays, although I was very happy when he stopped playing Steinbergers..yuk

3. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    I think I've nailed his tone..kinda:smug:. idk how it sits in a mix but I can say for sure in a weekend or two. here's what I used..

Acoustic b600h into 2 Acoustic b410's
    Gain 1:00/Vol. whatever it needs to be at/Freq. 2:00/40hz 2:00/120hz 2:00/350hz 1:00/800hz 2:00/2k 1:00/5k 3:00

Squier VM jazz bass w/Model J pickups
    Rotosound Swing Jazz strings
    Digitech RP80
    Compressor setting 2/noise gate setting 5/modulation phaser setting 1/EQ flat
    Sansamp BDDI Deluxe
    drive full on/bass 11:00/treble 12:00/presence full off/blend 9:30/lvl. 11:30

There's a Boss OC3 in the fx chain which i wasn't using but if you were to add it to the sound I would go for Poly mode/Octave 2 full off/Octave 1 9:00/lvl. 3:00

Sooo there you have it. Nice and detailed, hope it helps. I imagine I'll probably come back to it tomorrow and think it needs tweeking. The sound itself reminds me of Ged's Moving Pictures tone. YYZ and The Camera Eye to be specific. Of course low action and right hand technique are also required to get his tone.

4. que pasa????

que pasa????

Apr 7, 2010
    Mexico