Geddy Lee/Rush

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eliot L, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Who here likes Geddy? Well, I just can't get enough of him. He is a really awesome bass player not to mention singer. His style is very cool and for a rock bassist it is very well thought out. Some may not be too high on his singing style but I mean I love it and thats what helped make Rush-Rush.
    His solo album is really fun to listen to taking on a bit of a different musical approach. It may not be what a hardcore Rush fan was hoping for but I sure love it. My favorite Headache has a very cool bass line in it.
    If you guys don't knjow to much of his stuff....check it out now!
  2. I also like Geddy. He's great in my opinion and hahaha, I can never get tired of his singing. Rush was great. :D
  3. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    geddy lee is my hero! he has shoes just like mine (converse all star Chuck Taylors) and he plays all the good songs out there. my favorite song by that dude is "tom sawyer." i can play it on the bass, but i don't know which song i should learn next by geddy. which one should i learn?
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Another vote here, love his bass playing.

Red Barchetta from the same album is a pretty cool one to learn, but there's a ton of em that would be nice.
  5. Limelight would be a good song to learn. My Favorite Headache off of his solo album has a really cool opening bass line and a cool opening bass line with distortion on it. They are both basic lines which are very fun to play.
  6. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Take your pick, check the out the link in my sig. Everything you ever wanted to learn (from Rush) is there or on the email list. I'm working on Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Sudivisions, Something for Nothing, and The Trees. I'm supposed to play all those with the other guys on the email list in July. We're getting together in Philly, renting a studio and recording two days of nothing but Rush. God help us! I'm really new to the bass (6mos now) which is why I only have 6 songs. Next year I'll try more

I just started foolin around with 2112 to "take a break" from the other ones. Not as bad as I thought, once you figure out some of the rhythms anyway.
  7. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    some not too impossible Rush songs to learn are;

What Your Doing
    Temples Of Syrinx
    Tom Sawyer
  8. bass_giant

Jul 31, 2000
    Hong Kong

please dun miss this song !
  9. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am more of a RUSH fan than I am a Geddy Lee fan. RUSH is the sum of it's parts, take out one member and it's a failure.

i haven't tried learning any of their stuff yet, but I am sitting here listening to Caress of Steel (my fave by them).

I prefer their 70's works but own everything up to and including Power Windows. I lost interest in them after that.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I would have given almost anything to see them perform "Hemispheres" live.

Will C.:cool:
  11. Lakeside Park is the best Rush song ever. Limelight, Tom Sawyer, and Red Barchetta are pretty good also. I can play all 4.
  12. Yeah, most people are a Rush fan over a Geddy Lee fan. But I am both. Especially after buying his solo album a couple months back. Any of you guys buy the bass player magazine with him on the cover? It had a pretty cool interview with him.
  13. me too me too! Rush is definatly the sum of its parts but since I am a bass player Geddy is my fav.
    I was glad he didn't try and make his solo album like rush. learn red barchetta. or anything else of his for that matter it is all great.
  14. Yeah thats kool that he didn't go for a Rush album style. It was heavy and slow at the same time.
  15. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Subdivisions is my all time favorite Rush song. As far as favorite song for Geddy's playing there are too many to list. How does Geddy get his sound ?Is it a Rickenbacker or does he solo the bridge pickup on his Jazz Bass?
  16. Geddy's sound is in his hands. He used the Jazz bass for recording most of their albums, but I have seen them live a bunch of times, with him playing the Jazz, a Wal, a Steinberger, etc.. and he always sounds like Geddy.
  17. Great band and I also like Geddy's playing. His solo album is good in places, I love the opening track - my favourite headache - I love YYZ but the bass solo licks I find nails, what about La Villa.... now there's a tune.

18. Yeah thats true. He was aying that in an interview that if he gave someone his bass and his exact setup they wouldn't sound like him because EVERYONE has a different sound and style. And thats the great thing about every different player, their own unique sound. Geddy's unique sound rules!
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry to gloat, man, but I really have to here...when I saw the T4E tour in Milwaukee, they played it!:D

It was WAY cool and WAY tight!:D Only problem was that they only played the first 8 or 10 minutes:(
  20. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I'm assuming he plays fingerstyle? He must really hit those strings hard.