Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Sig Jazz re-issued?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by halfnote, Feb 1, 2001.

1. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Hey there, I'm a longtime listener-first time caller. The new 2001 Fender catalog has the Geddy Jazz bass listed. It was my understanding that they stopped making them and you couldn't get it anymore. Musicianbuy.com also has it listed, but they told me that all they knew was that it is on backorder and didn't know much more than that. Anybody know the story on this? This sounds like an axe that I would really love.

Thanks.

2. Welcome, halfnote :D

Last I heard, the GL Jazz has been so popular, that it is, for now, a regular part of the Artist lineup, like the Urge, Marcus Miller, and Roscoe Beck. Killer bass for the bucks, with one of the slimmest necks around. The only 'knock', if you mind it, is it can be a little light on the low end compared to other Jazzes. That is just the observation of some owners, I have not yet had the pleasure to try one, but I would love to.

3. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    I've played two and I didn't like the setup much on either of them. I also thought it lacked some lows but then I haven't found a bass with a maple fretboard that I liked.

4. I drool every time I see a picture of one of those. If I had the scratch, I'd get one.

Chris

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know what is up with the production on this instrument, if you go to http://www.fender.com , it is listed in their Artists Signature Series, although it wasn't last week.

Over the last 6 months, it has disappeared and reappeared on their website at least a dozen times.

As for the model itself, I have one of them, and I don't understand the comments about it lacking low end. Mine, at least, has tons of booty, especially with the neck pickup soloed.

For those with small hands, it has the slimmest neck of any bass that I have ever played. For you guys with bigger mitts, you may find it a little restricted, but it does have the standard Jazz bass width, it is just a slimmer profile(front to back measurement).

Mine has the '62 reissue pickups, and sounds awesome. The one listed on the website has 'Vintage reissue' pickups. I don't know if they are the same or not.

6. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    I just put a down payment on one. I haven't owned a Bass in over 20 years, so I'm no authority, but I believe the brightness, or lack of bottom on this moddel, may be do to the stainless steel strings that come as original equipment.
    I can only assume that a change to nickle, or nickle wrapped roundwounds, would add a little more bottom end to the over all sound. I didn't feel that mine lacked any bottom end at all. Being a guitar player, the thin maple neck is what really drew my attention.
    Reports on the availibility of this moddel vary. I'm told that it was a limited issue, but may continue. I'm told that it will become a regular catalog item, but will be on back order for a while, the shop were I'm buying mine say they can still get them in....so who knows for sure.
    I do know that I'm glad I got mine while it was there, and as a preffered customer of this shop, they gave me 40% off the list price, so I'm only paying $549.99, another $30 to $40 for a gigbag, and I'll be set.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Originally introduced in 98, discontinued in 99, and reintroduced in 2000. It is MIJ as is the Marcus Miller and P-lyte basses. I have TI Jazz flats on mine and notice no lack of bottom. I have some Elixirs on order for it so we'll see how that goes. Great bass and IMO the best bang for the buck Fender available, YMMV. :D

8. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I got a guy at a store to call Fender and ask what was up. They told him that they currently had orders for 70 GL's on backorder and that I could get one in about 2 months for $579.00. I haven't played one of these GL's, but I have liked almost every jazz I have played regardless of country of origin. I think I am going to take the plunge.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hi, I used to work for Sam Ash In Bklyn NY & when this bass first came out I bought the first one I could get my hands on!!! I extremly regret selling that bass, but I am a compulsive gear nut. While I was working @ S A, the bass was in & out of production a number of times. I know that Fender is trying to bring all MIJ stuff to MIM, so that could be it. Every GL bass I have played has the same kind of neck & it has to be one of the most comfortable I've ever had my hands on. I'm waiting for tham to introduce a Steve Harris bass. He has been playing Fender basses his whole career, but that's another story.

KillMary wrote:

"I've played two and I didn't like the setup much on either of them. I also thought it lacked some lows but then I haven't found a bass with a maple fretboard that I liked."

That is not a reflection of the bass, but the workers of the store that let basses rot away w/out restring/setting them up. Normally a bass w/a maple neck & fretbaord is brighter that one w/a mapleneck & rosewood fretboard.

10. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    $579 is a great price on a Geddy, get it!

The Steve Harris model is apparently available right now, in Europe but not the US! :( Maybe later?

11. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    Fender is also working on a "Victor Baily" signature moddel Jazz Bass.
    FYI...Victory Baily took over Jaco Pastorius' spot in Weather Report, outstanding Bass Player in his own right.

12. embellisher

MJB, I've got Elixirs on mine, sounds sweet and combined with the skinny neck, plays like buttah!

The new American Series basses are pretty nice, but when I bought mine, it blew away every American Standard 4 that I played in the tone department.

13. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    the first time I played one I hated it... but now I've been playing a 5 string for 4 months... and I decided I wanted to get a 4 to mess out with... i played it again and loved it.... I was going to buy one, but the store only had one, and the neck was dinged... haven't seen one away where else.

14. lowfreakwency

lowfreakwency

Dec 28, 2000
    I got one on Steve Barr's recommendation and what a great move! Personally, I like the tonal qualities because I've also got a P.

But to give me more variety, I dropped a J-Retro in it that I bought from Steve.

The only thing I didn't like were the tuners (and I've complained on the FDP a couple of times). Probably to keep costs down, they installed the cheapest fender tuners made. Thin, weak, and grinding. Although it doesn't really matter - it bothered me.

So I found a set of late 60's tuners on ebay and now it's a complete package.

But even the original package is the best deal out there. No other Fender has a neck like that. Also, the pickups are the same as the 62 RI.

Give it a try.

15. embellisher

lowfreak, I have been thinking of putting a J retro in mine.

How does it sound?

I am also thinking of putting a MOP pickguard on it too.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You shoud consider putting an <a href="http://aguilaramp.com/html/obp1.html">Aguilar OBP-1</a> preamp in it. I just put one in a bass I just had built for me & it SMOKES!!! I'm using it w/EMG J's but it can be used w/passive pick ups as well. I am going to order another one & put it in an old L-2000 I own. I messed up the original preamp but that is another story!!! :)

17. embellisher

Nino, I am going to put one of those in my Ibanez 6 string. Great preamps, from what I have heard.

But I don't want to do any irreversible mods to my Jazz.

The J retro is perfect. I have measured the cavity in mine, and it would require no routing.

18. lowfreakwency

lowfreakwency

Dec 28, 2000
    embellisher, the JRetro in the GL required no routing at all - although it is a tight fit!

The tonal varieties are endless. Coupled with the 62 RI pickups you get a really nice sound with a little bass boost and semi-parametric mid adjustment... and the JRetro allows for passive mode which worked really well for me in the studio.

Get hold of Steve Barr and he'll set you up: vintgebass@aol.com

19. embellisher

Yeah, if I get one, I'll be getting it from Dude.

20. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well I put the Elixirs on my Geddy last night, don't notice a lot of tone difference from the TI flats, nice feeling strings for roundwounds tho. I need to play em awhile before I decide which I like better. Oh, and you guys are really starting to give me J-retro GAS. :D