1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Signature Bass Model (Rebuilding?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kissassdude123, Mar 13, 2008.

1. kissassdude123

kissassdude123

Dec 15, 2007
    Hey guys, i was having lessons from my bass teacher then he was talking about getting his 8th Bass, which would be a Geddy Lee Signature, but then he held back and said Fender is coming out with a new Geddy Lee Bass. Is this true? Do you think it's true? Any proof? Let me know, Thanks!

2. The only thing I've heard was that they were upgrading the tuners and either coming out with a no-finish(on the back) or satin finish for the neck.

3. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    That would all make sense. I've allready sanded down the back of the neck on mine and was planing on replacing the tuners.

4. I've been tempted to do that to mine, but somehow I can't bring myself to do it. :meh:

5. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    They should add some sort of reinforcement to the neck. Every one I see in GC has horribly bowed necks, and the one I used to own suffered from a neck that was more flexible then a rubber band. The tone was great, the ergonomics were great, but the neck bent so much it required daily truss rod adjustments, which meant daily removals of the pickguard. I couldn't deal with that so I let it go.

6. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    mine was 'rubbery' too--but the truss rod worked well and i didn't have to make many adjustments, although i had to seriously flex the neck with the truss rod to counteract string tension

i've noticed the same in GC--but it's that way with just about every bass and guitar on the floor:meh:

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what type of finish is on the back of the necks currently?

8. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    just the regular gloss finish, like on the front side of the headstock and fingerboard...mine never felt sticky, fwiw

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, they were talking about upgrading the tuners and leaving an unfinished back of the neck (or probably oiled instead)

I'd like to give one of those a try.

10. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    Aye, 'tis true about the rubbery neck. I also filed out the pickgaurd for easy access to the truss rod. Have to tweak it almost as much as you have to tune it.
    I just can't stop playing it though. It sounds sooo dirty and creamy at the same time.

11. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    The neck problem is an issue that must be addressed. I feel burnt by Fender, they should have a general recall on this model and replace all our faulty necks. IMHO

12. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    This is worrying me, i have a Geddy on the way at the mo

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've been using a Geddy neck for years. First had it as the full geddy bass, then I took it off and put it on my current P bass. The neck has never had issues for me. Its pretty dang solid. I think I may have adjusted the TR 3 times since owning it which would be Aug. 2004.

14. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    What "neck problems" and "faulty necks"? The GL has a neck that's skinnier than most Jazzes--that's what many people like about them. And like the the original 70's maple-necked J's, it's made of a single piece of flatsawn maple with no extra reinforcement. Do you really expect it to be as stiff as a thicker neck, or a neck with graphite reinforcement? That doesn't mean it's defective, just a bit tempermental.

Mike