Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rsautrey, Dec 29, 2003.

1. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I know that for many years Geddy Lee has used Rotosound Swing Bass (Stainless Steel) strings. After watching the "Rush In Rio" DVD, I notice that the strings that were on his bass didn't have any red silks at the headstock like the Rotsounds. Then, if you read the credits in the booklet, they thank Ernie Ball strings and Dean Markley. The guitarist uses Dean Markley strings so....does this mean that Geddy is using Ernie Ball strings now? Can anyone confirm this? Geddy Lee freaks would like to know!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, which specific kinds does he use? My set of Rotos had blue silks.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Geddy used "Swing Bass 66LD" roundwounds which have red silk at the headstock end.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Were there ANY silks on the ends? To my knowledge, no Ernie Ball strings have silks.

5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Not that anyone cares but I just got a reply back from Ernie Ball customer service and it's true....Geddy is using Ernie Ball strings now even though there is no "official" endorsement. I'm curious whether he's using nickel or stainless so I'm waiting for a reply from Ernie Ball on that question too.

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Brian at Ernie Ball says that Geddy is using nickel plated Slinky sets in custom gauges ranging from 110-45.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Intresting, in the interview w/ Geddy in Bass Player mag last month, Geddy said he uses the Rotosounds...