1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee - Sunburst

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigscore1000, Mar 20, 2010.

1. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

Mar 6, 2004
    I have a "thing" for 70's styled Fenders. I currently have an 86MIJ 75 RI and wanted to get another. But with the recenct restrictions on importing Japanese Fenders to the US i feel like my hands are tied. No offense to the MIM guys here but i cant do a MIM 70's Jazz...so i was thinking about a Geddy in sunburst. My question is have any of you guys dressed a sunburst geddy to look like this 72 Jazz Bass? If so ...pics please:hyper:

Attached Files:

2. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    None taken, but just out of curiosity, what differences between the '70s Classic and and a Geddy make you feel that way?

3. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

Mar 6, 2004
    When i went to get my 1st bass about 12 yrs ago...i was amped on getting a Fender Jazz MIM.....the thing was sooo noisey that i couldnt bring myself to buy it...even though the money was burning a hole in my pocket....i settled for an Ibanez $199 bass which i eventually sold and got the MIJ 75 jazz which was IMO leaps and bounds better than the MIM...maybe the quality of the mim's have gotten better...i dont know:confused: but i'd also like the bass to retain some value which the MIJ/Geddy will have over the MIM down the road. I'm really GASing for a new bass and the Geddy is just a thought...i'd rather have a sunburst/rosewood neck/block inlay MIJ 75.

Whats your opinion on the 70's MIM Jazz ?

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The 70s MIM is nothing like the MIM you tried in the store! They are really nice -- as nice as the Geddy Lees I've played.

5. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

Mar 6, 2004
    Thanks for the heads up...im gonna give it a try!

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I owned two MIJ 75 Jazzes. The only fretted Jazz I now own is my MIM70s Classic. Badass bridge, Fralin pickups, and TI flats and wired volume, blend, tone... :)

7. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    You really do owe it to yourself to check out the '70s Classic. I have other Fender MIMs, and I don't have any problem with them - but the Classic Series feels better then all of them. I sold my Highway One (MIA) to get the Classic. I put the BadAss II from my Highway on it and it's my number one player (and looker!)

Much like Squiers, MIMs have come a long way since the late 90s.

The only catch is if you have to have a maple fretboard with black blocks. That's gonna be a Geddy or a reissue.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The MIM Classic 70's Jazz is such a bargain. It would be a steal at $1000. Country of origin does not determine how well it will play or how good it will sound. The Classic 70s Jazz and the Classic 50s P-bass are as good as any MIA Fender that I've played and pretty consistent from bass to bass.

That said, if you like the Geddy neck, you may not like the MIM Classic 70's Jazz neck. While it has the same width at the nut as any other Jazz, it is much thicker from front to back than a regular Jazz and WAY thicker than the Geddy-Jazz neck. I actually prefer it to the neck on the neck, but those who like the razor-thin neck on the Geddy may not like the Classic 70s Jazz neck. However, aside from that, I have not found anything to dislike about it. For the money, I can't think of a better bass on the market.

9. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Before we put a bad wrap on a Squire bass, lets remember the first Squires were made in Japan in 1983 and were/are excellent basses, it's only when fender cheapened it's quality that they made them in Korea, then Indonesia, and now China. But the original Squire from Japan is nothing to pass up because of the name.

Regarding the Made in Mexico basses, I am not the biggest fan of the Mexican made Jazz or Precision basses, but I do like the "Road Worn" series Precision and Jazz basses. They play and feel better than the regular Mexican basses. I have not played a classic 70's Jazz bass from Mexico, but if it's anything like the "Road Worn" series, I bet they are a great buy for the money.

Good Luck on your purchase.

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I doubt that. My brother bought one of the first 75RI's, and that was closer to '96 than '86.

11. Engine207

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Thanks, Double, for jumping in on that. It's a huge difference, to me. The Geddy neck is too thin. I guess I got pretty big mitts, and the surest way to get my hand to cramp is to play a thin neck. NOt sure about any specs, but the Classic neck feels about the same (or maybe even a hair fatter) as my MIM P bass. I'd guess going from thin to thick it'd be: Geddy -> Jazz -> Precision -> Classic Jazz.

I played a Ric for years and years, never really knowing that neck thickness had such a huge impact on my playing comfort. As long as I'm here...I'll shamelessly post my '70s.
    Banana.gif

PB180160-1.jpg

12. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

Mar 6, 2004
  13. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    i've come to humble opinion that Fender has really done a great job at dispelling the stigma (for lack of a better word) around the "MIM" tag across all lines.

The classic 70s Jazz might be Fender's, pound-for-pound, best Jazz. again, IMHO.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020