1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee tone with VT Bass + Catalinbread SFT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Jan 3, 2012.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Ok, so first of all, I realize that while only using 1 amp, I will be severely limited in how closely I can approximate the great Geddy Lee's tone. I get it. I'm just trying to get as close as I can given the gear I have and would love any and all suggestions.

My setup: G&L L2000 (with outter single-coil mod) --> Korg Pitchblack Tuner --> Envelope Filter --> Tech21 VT Bass --> Catalinbread SFT --> (possibly adding a Hartke Bass Attack) --> GK MB210 amp.

Compression has nothing to do with the way he achieves his tone right?

I have heard that you want to boost the hi-mids, but the VT Bass has a mid frequency set to 500hz I believe.

Anyway, like I said, how can I best work with what I've got

2. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008

The Sansamp BDDI is better suited for his sound, since the presence knob is more or less a hi-mid control.

3. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    from everything i read, the BDDI was mid-scooped, so I decided against it... what a bummer. Maybe somebody will trade me the VT for a BDDI. Well, I haven't received the VT yet, so I'll give it a chance before dispensing with it.

Why all the complaints on the forums of the BDDI being mid-scooped then? Why wouldn't people just turn up the presence?

Thanks for your suggestion BTW... I'll seriously consider it

4. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Hey, and no problem for the suggestion.

There are numerous reasons for the "loss-of-mids"-complaints, and some don't know how the EQ works. Cut bass and treble, and PRESTO; mids galore! And then there's the presence-knob. Still, there is no designated low-mid control, something I would've missed if my GK-head didn't have it. I have both the VT and the BDDI, but my guitarist prefers the BDDI because of the hi-mids makes me cut through better.

I do like the VT and if it weren't for my bandmates who likes the BDDI's presence and clarity (due to the ability to blend in my Jazz-bass' natural sound), I use the latter. The VT has become a grab-and-go box for session stuff and works better overdriven than the BDDI IMHO.

5. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Also, check out this demo. At 0:10 there is a Rush-song, if I'm not mistaken.

BDDI.wmv - YouTube

6. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would expect if you waited for your VT Bass to arrive in the mail, you would've never had to even ask this question. The Character knob on that guy is your high-mid controller, put it around 2-3:00 and you'll get some nice Geddy sound, I usually start there and bring the Treble knob down to even out the sound.

Not sure how you can implement the Catalinbread, but I'll buy it off ya ;)

7. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    First and most important thing is to get your right hand technique correct. 75% of his tone comes from that hard right hand attack, light strings and playing towards the neck pickup.

Leaving speaker enclosures out of the equation (which will have more of an effect on your tone than literally anything else in your signal chain) you can get 99% of the way there with the Sansamp RBI, or in a pinch the BDDI.

8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    I recently answered this in another thread.There is an intentional mid-scoop by design in the Bass Driver because it is emulating vintage tube amplifiers.Vintage Fender, Ampeg etc. are not flat response amplifiers. That was the sound. The reason so many people think there is a problem with the Bass Driver's midrange content is that they are many times running it into an amp that already has a midrange scoop. Now you have two mid-scoops. You can cut the bass and treble content of the Bass Driver to increase the midrange or use a more neutral midrange setting for the amp you are plugging into.

If you don't think the vintage tone of the Bass Driver is for you, you might want to try our Para Driver DI. With it's sweepable semi-parametric midrange control you can dial in a more neutral midrange response with the SansAmp circuitry.

Geddy used to use our RBI which is the rackmount version of our Bass Driver. He now uses the RPM which is the rackmount version of our Para Driver DI. He uses a number of signal sources. The RPM, the Avalon U5, Orange amps through Palmer speaker sim etc. That's for live. In the studio who knows.

9. I heard the BEST Geddy tone ever, from a TB'er on here who only used a VT Bass.

I'll try to find the clip, but do NOT sell it.:)

10. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Please do dig that up if you can.

Also, I suppose there is a lot to be said for "at least wait until you've got the darn pedal and tried it before wanting to trade it in" so I totally appreciate that point of view. Obviously I will do that, I'll at least give the VT a try. If I can come close with the VT, I'll be satisfied.

I'm only looking for the Geddy tone for one of my bands. It's not a tone I want to have 100%. So if the VT can get me close and also serve other purposes, maybe that outweighs the BDDI or Paradriver being able to do it better (but maybe being more limited). For example, the VT having better OD, is a positive for me.

I just have to say, I LOVE THIS FORUM! You guys are all so helpful!

For the longest time, I used no effects at all... then I got a Boss GT-6b multi-fx board. And now I'm finally coming around to single pedals. Because, of course, money is very limited for me, I don't have the luxury (or in reality, perhaps "patience" is the better word... yeah, it's really just a matter of patience and discipline) to try out pedals and if they don't work, send them back for new ones or whatever... I also try to buy used whenever possible (so usually don't have much of a return policy)

Thank you all! Keep the suggestions coming.

P.S. I did pull the trigger on the Hartke Bass Attack which has the "shape" knob to help dial in hi-mids if necessary. I got a crazy good deal on it, so why not?

11. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Unfortunately, the SFT probably won't be up for sale. Even if I don't find a way to use them both together, I'm sure it will give me a tone that the VT can't. What I'm thinking is maybe the VT will be my attempt at a Geddy tone pedal and the SFT will be my attempt at a James Jamerson tone pedal.

The operative word there being "attempt" :bag:

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    First...set your L2K to use both pickups full on, the series/parallel switch to the bassier setting, set the preamp as "on" and keep both treble & bass knobs all the way up. Put some SS strings on it, and set it up to give you the slightest fret buzz. Play hard with your fingers. That'll get you most of the way there...

Dial in a gritty tone with the VT to get the rest of the way.

13. GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA

I actually have the single-coil mod done on my G&L L2000 so I can get a decent jazz bass on steroids kind of sound. I currently play Dean Markley SR2000s which are SS, with very low action.

I think between my VT Bass and the Hartke Bass Attack VXL, I can find a close approximation. Maybe the Catalinbread SFT will just get saved to be used in different circumstances.

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I guess it depends on what Geddy sound you're after...

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    What era tone of his are you looking for? These days, his live tone, IMHO, is way more mid scooped/sansamp grindy than it used to be. Its all lows and really twangy highs. Im not a big fan of his tone since he started with the DI/Sansamp in the 90s. I had the VT bass but sold it since it really messed with my overall tone too much. I can get that mid-scoop sound with my Behringer BDI21, and you can get one for $30+ new.

16. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah I would agree that with most basses, the VT will get you the "newer" Geddy sound, which to me sounds darker / rock-y-er than the old prog rock tone he had with the Rickenbacker. But I personally don't know if thats due to his using a Jazz over the Ric or if its something else. The Geddy tone I've been going for is the sound he gets on their first self-titled album that he recorded on a P (so I can play Working Man in my cover band!) Funny that I never had an urge for a P bass until I learned thats what he used on that album.

17. A backline of washing machines is essential to his sound!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBxgIvVgiUrsgXnoQigndvU2MPGsomvF5UsKrmjpAdrQ4JvIKs7A.

18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  19. The VT track I'm talking about is much more like his older tones. More "Hemispheres" era.