1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rien, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Rien

Rien Guest

Oct 6, 2001
    Dreamland.
    I'm wondering how I could get his tone, or at least something close. My band is covering a Rush song, and my tone isn't right. I use a Fender Jazz Bass.
    Thanks!

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I've seen this post somewhere before...:eek:

Rien, for the future, the moderators will not appreciate it if you post something multiple times. I noticed this under "Amps" as well, which is where I responded.

At any rate, welcome to Talk Bass!:D

3. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    From the lips of the man himself....

"My main bass is an early Seventies Jazz Bass, and I use two other custom shop basses, all strung with Rotosound roundwound strings. The basses go through three or four different direct-style devices, a Demeter DI box and/ or an Avalon U5, a Palmer speaker simulator and two different Sansapm units that I switch between for different top-end distortions. One is a standard guitar unit and the other is a bass line driver, which is simpler and less over the top.

Onstage, I just run that into my Trace Elliot cabinets to create some live bottom end, but on record I never use any speakers. I go straight to my console and keep them on different tracks so I can mix and match the tones. Add a little compression, and that's how I get my sound."

:)

4. You have to love the sound you get from multiple systems... The midrange growl you get with lowwer mids and the cricketie highs with a smilie face, I love both and they mix well together, but I'm trying to get more of a crunch and clean (crushing distortion yet clean lows and clicky (no offense) highs) sound for what style I play. I have to add another system!? :eek:

But yeah it's an excellent way to get a good sound...