1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee vs. Classic 60's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFUNKTED, May 5, 2006.

1. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    Greetings,

I'm new to this forum and want to start playing bass again and have narrowed my choices down to these two option given the fact that I don't have a lot of cash to spend at the moment.

I like the dirty, deep growl of the Fender Jazz and wonder which bass you recommend. I don't have the biggest hands so the Geddy Lee's nek might suit me better but I've heard it isn't as deep as the Classic.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I think both are nice, but the Geddy is a better build I think.

3. the classic has the looks, but the GL blows it away for playability, sound and build quality imho... also, i see lot's of 2nd hand GL's making it a great buy.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Play both and see which one speaks to you. To me, the GL neck feels too thin, but that works well for some people. You can't go wrong with either one.

5. I have a Geddy Lee and I dig it. Great buy.

It might beat the 60s reissues (even though it's based on a '75) but it doesn't beat the real thing!

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The main diff I can't believe hasn't been mentioned is, the Geddy is modeled after the 70's J, and as such, is specifically known for growl. The 60's (and current model J's) use a bridge pickup farther away from the bridge, which is a tad fatter, but doesn't growl as well.

IMHO, if you want growl, you DEFINITELY want the Geddy, and NOT the 60's classic. Done.

7. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    Classic '60s Jazz = Made in Mexico = No good.

Geddy = Made in Japan = Very Good.

8. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I have had both of those basses (just recently sold the Classic). As far as build quality, I have to say it is a dead tie. People harp on the fact that since the Classic is MIM, the quality can't be that good. Just not true. The Classic is most likely the best Fender to come out of Mexico.

Some factors to consider, the Geddy is a great bass to slap on due to the maple fretboard and Badass II bridge. The Classic is better for finger style, does not have as bright sound as the Geddy. The Classic also hotter pickups then the Geddy (I have heard other people with the same complaint). Personally I think the pickups in the Classic are better (they are the same used in the Highway 1 Jazz). Also the Geddy only come in black! At least you have some choices with the Classic.

Also fret size is different. The Classic had thin vintage style frets where the Geddy has medium jumbo frets.

Bottom line they are both great basses. I ended up keeping the Geddy because it is a great slap bass (for finger style I prefer my Jazz fretless) but I will be upgrading the pickups to something hotter.

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    So not true. You can't group all MIM instruments together. My Classic was way on par with any MIA jazz basses I tried. The build quality of mine was perfect, the fret work was flawless and it was setup great right out of the box.

10. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    Wow! Awesome, thanks for the replies.

I think I may be leaning to the Geddy as well because it just looks killer...

Now if I was going to try to offset some of that brightness of the Geddy Lee toward a more fatter and warmer sound but still keep that growl which pickups should I replace it with? SD Antiquity II or DiMarzio J?

Thanks again!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    These happen to be 2 of my favorite Fender basses.

The Geddy is, IMO, the best Fender bass available, especially for the price. The neck feels awesome.

I've compared the Classic 60's Jazz to USA '62 RI Jazzes and, IMO, the sound and feel were better on 2-3 different comparisons in different stores.

Either way, you'll end up with a great bass.

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    They're not real basses? :confused:

:D

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I have to say, IMO, you don't know what you're talking about.

14. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006

You must be one lucky bas. . . bass player.

I have played over 10 MIMs and owned 3, and they all have been on a par to a $100 Chinese import.

Not that Fender takes any awards for quality otherwise, but those MIM Jazzes always feel like cr*p, to ME.

I'm not right or wrong. . . it has been MY experience, which I certainly know for a fact.

Maybe if I re-phrase it like this:

MIM = Made in Mexico = No good. (THE PREVIOUS STATEMENT IS MY VERY PERSONAL AND INDIVIDUAL OPINION.)

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    True about the Geddy, but to be honest, I've played a few of the Mexi 60's classic J's and liked them... they just don't growl as well tho, due to the pickup placment...

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    For my tastes, I disagree about the fingerstyle comment. In fact, I rarely slap, and I got rid of an awesome American Vintage Series 62 reissue stack knob in favor of my Geddy. Yeah, believe it. The reason was purely tone. I LOVE the bite/burp/cut of the growly 70's style J (which of course includes the Geddy). For me (imho), it's all about a 70's style J for all styles. Period.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    First, to fatten up, just blend a little of the neck in there (that's what Jaco did at times as well), works GREAT.

However, if you want to replace pickups, I strongly favor the DiMarzio J's (DP-123 set) for a good preservation of tone, but without the SC hum, and maybe a bit more complex sound. If you want to kick it up a notch, the Ultra-J's, but I liked its native tone, so I stuck with the standard Model J's.

Otherwise, there's TONS of J replacement p'ups out there, and right now, Nordstrand is KILLIN' with their pickups.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, it's based on a '72. The diff being an Alder body vs Ash.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No it's not. You're just wrong.

Ok, ok, just kidding (really, I am), but while you're of course entitled to your opinion, I personally think that's a bit too strong of a statement to make.

I think it's fair to say the MIM's are kinda' like high end Squiers, because I've played som MIM's that I just thought were genuinely "cheap" like you're saying, but I've also played many that really impressed me. For example, the 60's classic, and especially the deluxe J. Surprised me.

20. Rookie question, as long as we're on the topic of Jazz basses: How do you get that growl sound out of them? I like the sound I get out of my Geddy, but I never could really get it to growl. :confused: