Geddy Lee vs. HWY 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefft54, May 13, 2005.

1. I suppose this thread is similar to the one ALABION 100 posted. I've considered a number of new, midpriced basses. What do the TB experts think: Geddy Lee or HWY1. I've played them both and liked them both. I'm also considering a Tribute L-2000 but can't find a local dealer to play it. I swear, someone at TB should start a shopping service to help people like me make up their minds!
  2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Geddy, better pickups, better parts, sturdier finish. etc.
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Part of that may depend on the sound you want. The GL is more '70s sounding whereas the HWY 1 will sound more '60s-ish. Has to do with bridge pickup placement. Personally I would take the HWY 1. Make sure you pick and choose, however. Fender's quality control isn't what it could/should be.
  4. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I'm a USA Fender fan, but the Geddy Lee is a much nicer guitar than the Highway 1, and is comparable to the American Standard/Series basses. The finish on the GL is on a par with Rickenbacker finishes, and probably a step above the Fender USA models. The only sup-par item on the GL would be the tuners. The quality is sort of cheap, but they hold tune as good as any. The Highway 1 series of guitars and basses just seems like an inexpensive way to enter the Fender USA market. I'd sooner by a used Standard or Series than a new Highway 1......and I have.

I am a previous owner of a GL, and currently own two American Series basses, a Jazz and Precision. All 3 have exceptional build quality. The finish edge goes to the GL, just because it was so perfect. The neck on the GL was a thing of beauty in fit, finish and feel. The pickups on the American Fenders have higher output, especially on the P bass.

I'll stop now, as I've gone on a tangent. Again the GL is quite a step above the Highway 1, in my opinion. All in all it is a phenominal bass.
  5. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Complete a search and you will find that the Geddy Lee is in as high regard here on TB as any other production bass under $700. I smile every time I play mine. :cool:
  6. The GL seems to be the TB favorite. The only thing I don't like about it is the black color. The maple neck and inlays are great. Someone on another post said it was too bad they didn't make it in a sunburst. Oh well, color is the last thing to worry about in a bass. Thanks, I'll be going for the GL.
  7. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    You have to try both. Personally I find the neck on the Geddy too thin.....but that's me.
  8. I tried both and the smaller GL neck felt fine. That's the problem, they're both comfortable to play and sound great.
  9. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Apollo, I am afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you on the quality of fit and finish. I have owned a Ric 4003 and 4001v63 and the fit and finish on both those basses was head and shoulders better than the GL I tried. That's not to say the GL is bad; it's just that Rics are exceptional in that department. Having said that, the GL was much much nicer than any MIM Fender I have played and almost as good as the average MIA. The MIA is a much more expensive instrument so that is great news if you are considering the GL.

I mentioned this is the other thread but one thing I hated about the GL was the painted on binding and block inlays. I realize that real binding and inlays are a bit much to ask for on a $700 bass but it still makes me feel that the bass was designed to be a look-alike rather than the real thing. I guess I feel the same way about foto-flames.

10. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    It's odd, the blocks and binding on the Marcus are real, and the Geddy's blocks aren't (dunno about the binding, looks sus though). WWFJD?
  11. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003

You have to look at the whole package at the price at which it is being offered. For under seven hundred you are getting alot of bass for the money.....
  12. do those still have the thin necks?
  13. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    Does The Geddy Lee have S-1 switching?
  14. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a Geddy Lee, I don't own a Hwy1. Nuff said! :D
  15. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    You can add it, I did.
  16. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    How much would it cost to add S-1 switching to a Jazz Bass.
  17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Geddy. IMHO, way better tone and playability.
  18. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Soldering skills and less than $10, I think.