1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee vs Jaguar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, May 10, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    Hey all,

Last week I went to the local music mega store and played 30 basses or so..

The Geddy Lee Jazz was clearly my favorite... It did lack a bit of low-end....

I see that the Jaguar has a similar neck and active/ passive pick-ups. Unfortunately there are not any Jaguar to try out in these parts?

How do the two compare sound wise?

thanks

david

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Jag has quite a bit more tonal options with it's active/passive electronics setup. In passive, you still have a tone control and you can put the pups series or parallel. The Active is boost only on both treble and bass, but the passive tone control is still operative. The disadvantage is that the pups are either on or off via switches, so no balancing of the two pup tones. The necks are the same, and the Geddy has a better bridge, but for $50 you can drop in a BAII just like it on the Jag.

3. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
  4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Being a large jungle cat, a jaguar would clearly win in a fight with any member of Rush. Geddy might be able to temporarily confuse the jungle cat with his girlish singing, but that would only prolong the inevitable...

:smug:

Seriously, they are both nice instruments, the Jag does give you more tonal options though. Could you drop a nice pre into the Geddy to counteract that? Yes. I like the feel of the neck/fretboard on the Geddy a bit more, but that is subjective.

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Since a Jaguar uses it's neck to help it rend and tear live prey as opposed to Geddy Lee who probably only uses his to bob out a beat, I's assume the Jaguar's neck to be much stronger.

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Jazz basses have "serious neck dive"? Since when?

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

especially considering the Geddy has a 400lb bridge on it. :D

8. The Jag looks better IMO. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I tried a Jag and liked it. I think they are comparable in quality and they both sound great. I think the Geddy sounds slightly better, but I really didn't get a chance to dial in the Jag, which I assure you is a NON-trivial undertaking given all the controls.

I'd got with the Geddy because I like maple boards and the tone controls are easier for me to work with. I do love the look of the Jag though.

Overall win/win.

10. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005

red or black

should really come in Seafoam green, IMO

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've owned a Jaguar IV for the past 4 mths. It's a great bass!!!

As a rule, I don't like Fender's. But I love this bass.

What numb nut said it doesn't balance?

Neck dive? In your dreams!

TD

12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Hats off to you Dan. That hilarious!! Great sense of humor.

13. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    sound aside the geddy is sexy and well the jaguar.....thats left up to personal taste

14. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    I tried a Jag out at a local store a few weeks ago, it was nice, and decent price ($750 and its MIJ right?). All the tonal options is a plus.

But the Geddy is super sweet. I'm leaning a bit towards it on this call.

15. Seafoam Green or White with Tort pickguard would totally seal it for me.

16. These numb nuts ...

FYI, I had a Jag within a couple of weeks that they came out I had the exact same feelings as the folks at Bass Player. Overall, I liked it a lot but I decided to sell it.

We can disagree but we don't have to resort to crass name-calling. :scowl:

17. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I was GAS'sin for a geddy jazz for a long time.
    Then I tried the Jaguar, and went home with it.
    IMNSHO, the Jag is the better bass.

18. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i own both the geddy and the jag bass.

the geddy's an awesome stage/studio bass. thin neck (less fatigue), great badass bridge, good looks (inlays). over-all a wonderful solid MIJ bass that is easily as good as any american. it's been my #1 bass for 2 years live and studio.

don't expect the earlier rush-tone out of the box. a good amp with gain and upper mids does that.

negatives: the geddy tuners were crap, and i replaced those, and also replaced the "original 62 jazz bass pickups" with emgs. i did not like the sound or the raised pole pieces (bad for fingertips). replacing the pickups made the bass more versitile. the emgs are bland, but they are fuller and even accross frequencies making the bass easy to mimic any sound using an amp or plug in. this makes the bass not a one trick pony.

on the the jag bass. get a bucket for the drool. she is beautiful. those inlays, that red, ouch! i just got her last week, and have yet to rehearse or gig with her. the bass is really a jazz bass on crack or steriods. like a G&L tons of versitility. passive/active, series/parrellel, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut, master tone/volume. the bass has the "custom shop 60's pick-ups with flat pole-pieces" very punchy, no surf tone here. does have a simular neck to geddy.

negatives: neck dive, tuners, a little hum, the bridge is bad.

i love my basses!!!!!!

mm

19. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    would Hipshot ultra lites go on the Geddy or Jag without making any new holes :confused: