Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Vs. Jazz 24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morkolo, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    I'm just wondering are they the same in quality. They both list at 999.99 and both are for sale in the states for 699.99. But here in Newfoundland I can get a new Jazz 24 for 770 (Canadian) compared to the Geddy Lee for 1099 (Canadian). I can't decide which one to get. I own a SR800 and from the price of the Jazz 24 I'd assume it would be a step down for me. So what do I do? I haven't tried either, and will only have a chance at the Jazz 24. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm running it through a Traynor YBA 200 head with the matching cabinet if that helps either bit.

2. Well, from what I've seen around here that is a pretty good price on the Jazz 24. For that price it must be used, or they're trying to get rid of it for one reason or another. There must be something we don't know about that bass...

- Andrew

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Geddy Lee wins out hands down, IMO.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I purchased a Jazz 24 about 4 months ago from MF, and I was very disappointed. Sent it back the same day I got it! Can you say ugly! The thin top looked like beat up drift wood rather then quilted maple (had a long conversation with Fender about this). Sound, could not a get a good sound out of this sucker. Maybe I am too used to passive Jazz sounds, but the electronics were very bad (I could get a way better sound from my old active Dean Edge bass). Now to be fair, the construction (besides the top wood) was very good.

From the Geddy's I played, hands down I would get one over the Jazz 24.

5. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Where are you from Morkolo? I'm from NF too.

6. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I have played both and personally prefer the jazz 24 over the Geddy Lee. It was a tone issue for me. I really liked the Duncan pickups and preamp in the 24. I thought that they had a very solid and punchy tone.

I would have to say that they are the same quality. But, there are always going to be good ones and not-so-good ones. I would not advise ordering one of these like classicjazz did. You might end up with a bad one.

If you like the 24, go for it.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I tried the Geddy (and the Aerodyne too) and the 24 and bought the 24. The Geddy sounds like a Jazz bass so it would be a good choice if that's that you want. The 24 has some serious output. Seymour Duncan pups and pre pump out the booty by the plateful. It will cut through. And of course, it has 24 frets. Because of these, I use it as my DGCF axe.

If you like slapping, you might want to go Geddy because you may find the 24 a bit cramped.

8. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    I'm from Pasadena, on the west coast. So if I get the Jazz 24 I have an 8 hour drive just to try it, because I won't buy it if I can't try it first. The Jazz 24 is brand new, but in what condition.. I don't know. The worst thing about the Geddy Lee bass is that I would have to order in. I looked around at the local music stores and nothing really stuck out. There were Cort's, Ibanez, Yamaha, GnL Tribute.. but none of them were for me. There was a used 2002 Warwick Streamer LX for $1500 (canadian), claiming to be in mint condition. Is that a good price? And is it worth it to step up in price to the Warwick? Anyway thanks for all the help.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    They're quite different basses, despite the common Jazz theme, because the Geddy is a traditional passive Jazz while the 24 has high output Duncans and active electronics. So assuming you've narrowed it down to these two, you should decide whether you want a more vintage Jazz sound or a modern, active sound.

I definitely prefer passive electronics and more vintage tones, so based on that alone I would go Geddy. (My main axe is a 2003 Am. Ser. Jazz with Fralins.) That said, I tried the 24 a few weeks ago when I was testing combo amps, and I thought it sounded great despite its modern "hi-fi" vibe. Lots of clarity, a very full, punchy bottom end. Decent playability too, but that's true of any decent Jazz. If I wanted a more modern sound at a reasonable price, it would be on the list.

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  11. I currently own both of these basses. They are two very different sounding basses and you should pick the one that best suits what you need.

The Geddy is vintage sounding and vintage looking. It comes with a killer Badass II bridge but beware of the substandard tuners. Its a great bass and well worth the $999 Canadian (which is what I paid for mine) and is most likely the best bass Fender has in their line today. The neck is to die for!! If you have small hands (as is my case) this bass will be a great relief to you.

The Jazz 24 is a modern looking and modern sounding bass. The electronics aren't bad but the slap switch tends to leave something to be desired when used with certain EQ settings. The finish is great (mine is Cherryburst) and the the neck is very fast. Some people don't like the finish but then again the look isn't for everyone. You said that the price is marked down to something around $700 and that is a good price as long as the bass is in good condition and doesn't need any major repairs upon purchase. It might be worth your while to ask if it was used and why its marked down. I paid $999 for mine and it was brand new. They had three on the wall when I got mine. There were two Cherryburst (one that was spoken for) and a Tobaccoburst (not as nice of a finish) but the bass was well worth the money.

If you have any questions about either model feel free to PM me or, if you use MSN, just add me and I can answer any questions you have there. My e-mail address is in my profile.

12. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    I have a Geddy but I can't figure out what everyone means about the tuners. Seems to stay in tune for me, but I just play here at home. Can you elaborate a bit? :help:

13. I have used my Geddy lots of times and I find that after playing for a while it starts slipping out of tune. I also find it rather difficult to get it tuned absolutely perfect (but then again I'm a perfectionist) and I get frustrated with the tuners on it. Thinking about maybe shelling out the cash for a set of Hipshots or Schallers.

14. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    Good call on the tuners! I replaced mine with Hipshots and now have no issues.Only other upgrade I did was a set of Lindy Fralins...smoother sound and a much more vintage tone than the stock Geddy PU's. I tried 4 Geddy's over a span of 2 months at the local Long & McQuade till I found the right one!

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I've stuck with the stock tuners on my Geddy. They are stiff. I have had no problems with it going out of tune. In fact, it stays in tune for days at a time - as far as I can tell it stays in tune unless a tuner gets bumped or there is a major temperature change. The tuners are stiff, that's the only "problem" with them. Try as I might, I have not been able to justify replacing them. YMMV

16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    So far, mine have been pretty much the same. For me, it's kinda difficult to get it in tune in the first place, because the tuners are just so sensitive. The slightest turn changes the pitch drastically, so I've gotta be patient and make little baby-step adjustments until it's finally in tune.

However, it does seem to hold tune pretty well.

17. The problem I had with the tuners on mine was that they were not stiff at all. Mine were very loose and lost their tune very quickly.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    What about the weight of these "Vintage Tuners" on the Geddy? Are they heavier than other tuners? If they are, I see that as a good thing - I know that some people will put a little brass clamp on the head stock of their Fender (Fat Finger?) to add mass to the head stock and reduce / eliminate dead spots that Fenders will sometimes (usually?) have. After reading about that, I started to wonder if maybe heavier tuners on a Fender weren't a good idea. Has anybody ever switched out tuners in favor of ultra light tuners and noticed dead spots developing / increasing?

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Jazz 24 was nothing like a Jazz bass IMO, besides the body shape. The electronics were too modern to keep the feel right, and because of that alone, I prefer the Geddy. Much more classic.

However, being an SR800 player, you may find the Jazz 24 to be the Fender right up your alley, even if it's made in Indonesia or Korea or wherever it was made.

I went on a Jazz bass binge a few months back, and had my guy at GC hand me every Jazz on the racks, loved the Geddy, loved the Marcus, liked the Jazz 24. However, the quality of it was superb and I couldn't believe it wasn't made in the states or Japan.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Vintage tuners on the Geddy and Marcus aren't much lighter than the regular Schallers that were used in the '70's. I personally swap them out for slightly heavier Hipshot classics, but that's for consistency once I throw the Xtender on. I like all my tuners to be the same.

I haven't noticed tuners having much to do with dead spots, because the placement of the weight has as much impact as the amount of weight on the headstock. Gotta keep moving a fat finger around. Had one on an old MIM P which had a killer dead spot around the 5th and 6th fret on the G string.