Geddy Lee vs. KSD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eldoctorbass, Oct 4, 2004.

1. eldoctorbass

eldoctorbass Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Northampton, Mass
    Sorry if this has been covered, but anyone had experience with both the Geddy Lee Jazz and the KSD proto-70s? I almost tacked this on to the Lee/Reverend thread below, but I guess they are different. I need a solid backup that plays well, isn't super heavy and (in the best of all worlds) has a variety of tones. Thanks!
  2. Hey,
    I have never played a KSD, but my Geddy works like a charm everytime. always in tune, always with the tone. The neck iis like butter, and the price us unbeatable.What more can you ask for?
  3. In terms of playability, you're talking about two very different basses. The Geddy has quite a slim neck, while the neck on the KSD V70 is on the chunky side. I had one for a while, and that's one of the main reasons I sold it -- the neck wore out my fretting hand. The KSD also weighs more. Tone-wise, the KSD's active electronics will give you more versatility, and it also sounds great in passive mode, with a ton of growl. So, it's kind of a toss-up.. the Geddy is more playable, but the KSD has a wider variety of sounds.
  4. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I found the KSD a much better bass than the Geddy Lee. I recently got rid of my GL after a little more than a year. I found the GL playable cause of that paperthin neck but ultimately, no booty. Toneless. The KSD had oodles of different sounds. The KSDs I played did not suffer from a thick neck at all. YMMV
  5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I hardly played a Geddy but spent some time with a KSD recently and I got the impression that the two are not really comparable. Geddy is essentially a '72 reissue with BA bridge whereas KSD is a low-priced substitute for a Pensa or Sadowsky Botique-type J bass. Much more substantial bass, chunkier, more of a botique feel and tone, including a 35" scale.

Both very nice basses, but apples and oranges comparison IMO.