Geddy Lee vs Marcus Miller vs Schecter Exotic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fong249, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Well, i made the journey to my local guitar center to fix my craving for that jazzy noise, seeing as all my basses have either humbuckers in the bridge or nothing there. There i tried the Geddy Lee, the Marcus Miller, and the Schecter Exotic.

I started off with the Geddy Lee. Really nice jazz neck, very very sticky. Soloing the jazz pickup i got a absolutely wonderful jazz noise, adding the bridge pickup made a very full clean sound. Slapping and popping didnt work too well for me here... I'm an avid slapper, so this wasnt too impressive for me.

The Marcus miller gave another great jazz sound, and when coupled with the active passive switch i was astounded. neck played nicely, was not too thick, about teh same stickyness as the geddy. much better slap/pop tone then the geddy, much more customizable tone aswell. I was considering walking away with it. Then i spied the schecter

Schecter Elite - 649$. I picked it up, and it was majestic. It got the jazz tone, it had an active passive switch, it had a fantastic 3 band eq that made playing the bass a pleasure. Slap tone was absolutely phenomenal. Frets were huge, just how i like them. the neck was a little bigger then a jazz, but im a burly fellow so it felt just right. This bass really had it all for me.

So, in order to skew the results a little bit, i went ahead and grabbed a warwick corvette with j j. the warwick had a traditional huge neck, simple controls, nice shape. the schecter blew the warwick out of the water.

Anyone here with a shcecter elite, would paying 650 be a good deal for one?
  2. terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    I would say check around because I 'm seeing these awesome basse's on ebay for right around 400 bucks, and even that is a steal for one as far as I'm concerned
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Elite (msrp $869) or Exotic(msrp 1179$)? Two different basses.
    If it's the exotic at that price, go for it.
    If it's the Elite look for a better price.
    I got my Elite 5 new for $599
  4. jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    I would say $649 is durn fine price for a bass that has the mojo you are looking for..and it sounds to me like it does! I've got geddy gas personally.