Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

geddy lee vs marcus miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Mar 4, 2004.

1. which bass would you prefer for that treble gritt, throaty growl?

2. i'd get the marcus miller, but the geddy lee is also a really nice bass

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would lean towards the Geddy Lee. I am sure that the two basses are really comparable given that they are two really distinct flavours of a Fender Jazz.

Dan

4. im looking to get a upper midrangy tone that has an overdriven SVT tube sound... isnt the MMj clean and "hi-fi"?

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Then I would go with the Geddy Lee.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I advocate the Geddy Lee. Just on looks alone I say "Geddy Lee." Though I know the MMJazz is a nice instrument, it has that extended pickguard that looks like I made it. That is no compliment!

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    :D

You nailed it man.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    probably the geddy lee - the mm's active controls really emphasize different frequencies than what you're looking for
    that said, ive had several opportunities to play the geddy jazz alongside the 1975 reissue and fwiw, the 75 sounds more "geddy lee" than the geddy lee - if that makes any sense at all............... :p

9. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    I can't comment on the Marcus Miller, but I recently bought a Geddy Lee because I've been in pursuit of the same sound.

While I'm not 100% set, I can say that the first home recording I did with the Geddy Lee has made me very happy. I'm not saying I plugged it up and instantly attained Moving Pictures-like tone (I would have died on the spot if I had), but I got tone I think is definitely workable (classic rock growl). I simply turned everything on the bass up, plugged into my board, boosted the board's EQ a tad in the mids, and viola. I instantly had 80% of what I'm looking for. Once I go back to finesse the EQ, get some compression, maybe get a Sansamp I think it'll be perfect. Oh, and I've got to play better (though that's a bit beyond the tone question).

Oh, and it looks great (neck is stunning -- what's that called, flamed maple?)

There are threads discussing the stability of the neck -- search for them and check them out. I think mine is fine althought it needed setup to get the relief and action where I like it. I did it myself (had to take the neck off as there is no truss rod access channel routed on mine), and with a bit of adjustment and a shim I'm totally set. It's been stable ever since (two months).

Was going to buy used off eBay to save a few $, but lucked out with a dented (but new) Geddy Lee at the store so ended up saving as much as if it were used (and dented), plus I avoided shipping costs.

I'm a happy customer.

HooBass