Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee vs standard MIA Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raycer, Oct 15, 2005.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    any reason to choose the MIA over the geddy lee?

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    they are two different basses

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Sorry I meant to write J instead of P bass. :)

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    ahh, i see :)

i havent played any MIA J, but i have my MIJ Geddy, all i can say is, that the Geddy bass is nice sounding, fast neck and great looking

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have played them both. They are different. I thought I wanted a Geddy Lee, but now I think I would prefer an American Jazz. I can't really put a finger on it, but I just like the overall feel and tone more of the MIA Jazz.

6. I've owned both and still have the Geddy....great bass and lots cheaper than the MIA. MIJ Fenders are known for the quality...the MIM versions have some weaknesses so I'm told but the MIJ rivals the USA build IMO.
    Oh reason to own the Geddy? BadassII bridge and the neck. You'll have to ditch the stock tuning machines though....they SUCK. Go for the Hipshots or the Schallers....very nice and easy to install.

7. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I've tried both and I like the Geddy more. It just feels better and the regular Amer. pickups just don't sound that good to me as compared to the Amer. Vintage pickups in the Geddy. I like Badass' too :)

~Paul :)

8. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Like all basses, it's about what works best for you. I've played both, and I would probably go with the Geddy, swap out the tuners and maybe throw on a black pickgaurd...The MIJ stuff seems to be as good as the MIA stuff (not including Custom Shop...though there is a Fender Custom Shop in Japan as well). Like most production instruments, it helps to play as many as possible in order to find the one that is just right for you.

Those tuners on the Geddy do really suck, but for $699 it's not that big a negative.

9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Mmm...I say Geddy. But, as others have said, it's what's best for you. Play them both (most guitar shops have both, at least around here) through your setup, or as close as you can get to your setup, and then decide.

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Geddy is like a pimped up MIA at a lower price. That's how I see it.

11. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    The MIA has S1 and nicer fretwork. Thats about it.

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've owned a MIA P Deluxe 5, a MIA J 5, a MIA P, and at least 2 MIA J 4's (not counting the late 70's J I had many years ago). I liked them all, but IMHO, the Geddy kills'em. The quality is every bit as good, it's already got the badass bridge on it, and that neck profile is awesome. Beyond that, and I don't know the exact reason why, but to my ears, it just sounds better also.

The tuners are faithful to the 70's J it's modeled after, so by today's standards, they're not all that nice, but I've never had a problem tuning it or keeping it in tune, so I don't plan to change them.

13. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I sold my Geddy Lee, and like everyone said i would i cry night after night...

I'd buy it just for the looks myself, but having played a few MIA Jazzes i'd buy it for the snarl aswell...

Just dont sell it once you do :crying:

14. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I like the Geddy tone better only because that bridge pickup is further back. It makes a HUGE difference in the growl of the beast... an MIA jazz sounds great, but doesn't have that in your face rasp too it like the Geddy.

I put an American P-bass neck on mine.

[​IMG]

15. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    I'd choose the MIA, but I've never really liked the Geddy sig.

The MIA has better fretwork, better tone (IMO), graphite-reinforced neck, and the like.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own both basses and while the Geddy is a nice bass I prefer the Mia bass. My MIA jazz is just a nicer and better sounding bass than my Geddy. My Mia bass feels more solid in my hands and is my staple bass! Again the Geddy is a nice bass, it is well crafted and sounds good. My MIA 75 R.I. is a much better bass (cost 2x as much) and sounds better than the Geddy. For the price the Geddy is hard to beat.

17. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    I most always think a graphite reinforced neck is a good idea -> MIA.

pups, pres can be easily swapped - My thoughts are try a bunch, see how they sound resonate acoustically, pick the one that floats your boat - be it Geddy, MIA, or even MIM*

I would not probably order one unless i absolutely had too - i don't think the consistency is there.

*I've played a some MIM J's that were pretty crappy (well, not bad maybe for the price), but there's one in town here that sounds/plays excellent to me and is only about $400!

18. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

I didn't realize that!

p-neck, J-body -- nice combo!

19. I've played both side-by-side and I can say that while the Lee had mojo, it felt inferior to the American Jazz.

They did both have the same relative tone on an SWR I played, but then again the EQ on the amp was constant. The only variable I fiddled with was the v/v/t setup, of course. Keep in mind that I also played an older MIA Jazz, not one equipped with the S1.

If I had to go with one over the other for sheer utilitarian use, it'd be the MIA. For aesthetic, it'd be the Lee.

In either respect, I'd take the used route for both.

20. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    mia's have graphite in the neck and a 2 way adjustable truss rod. that's huge for me. i'd rather buy a bass with a great neck and crappy electronics because they're easy to replace. i know of one person for sure who has a geddy neck that wont get straight anymore, and have heard of many others, although i'm sure people will chime in and disagree with this. for me, if the bass doesnt have graphite in the neck or a 2 way truss rod then it better have 3 or 5 pieces of wood laminated for the neck.. by the way, my dream bass... geddy body, warmoth jazz neck.... anyone have one they want to sell?