Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassWizard45, Apr 1, 2001.

1. BassWizard45

BassWizard45 Guest

Apr 1, 2001
    Rome, Georgia
    Is it possible to get the Geddy lee sound from my gear? I think he uses an overdrive, does anyone know?

2. Ooooh...Geddy Lee...
    uses a Ric. :D
    Or used. Unless he used it after he got his signature Fender jazz. Or...well...I'm not too sure, I just know it was a Ric. :D
    Or probably was, depending on what recording it is. :p

As for whether or not you can get that sound out of your gear, I have no idea. I've never tried an Epiphone LP standard bass, although I could've at one point.

3. Which tone?

He has used a few different basses over the years and has recorded them different ways.

In the '70's, he mostly used a Rickenbacker 4001, but even then, not every album or song sounded the same. If you compare his sound on much on the 'Carress of Steel' album (1975) to much of his other Ric work, it's quite different - side 2 almost sounds like he used flatwound strings - I don't think he did, but the tone is a lot warmer and smoother than most of his other albums with the Ric. Compare 'No One at the Bridge' to 'Cygnus X-1' from 2 years later and you'll hear a huge difference in tone from the same bass.

By the '80's Geddy also started to bring out some different basses like his early '70's Jazz bass, the Steinberger and the Wal basses which all had their different tones.

Actually, even the Jazz sounds quite different at times - the sound of it on 'Moving Pictures' is very different than the same bass on more recent albums. A lot of that is in how the bass was actually recorded.

4. Oooooh...I saw the Geddy Lee signature jazz last month, but didn't try it out...
    now I wish I had! Argh!
    Wait...is that the one he used on YYZ? I just listen to Rush, I don't know very much other info about them. :p I love that growly tone on 2112 & YYZ & a bunch of other stuff...actually, I'm looking for something with that kinda growl, too. The best I've managed to get so far is boosting all the bass, mids & treble on my Ibanez SR 405 & getting rid of the blend...or whatever that other knob is, I forget exactly. :p But it's just not growly enough, even if I use a pick & play near the bridge.
    Ok...ummm...I should probably go to the basses forum & search for posts about this stuff, huh? :p

5. I just read in BP that he is using a Tech21 (or two?) for distortion. I think one of them is a PSA-1 and the other is a Bass Driver stompbox. This was in the BP interview a couple of months ago about his newest solo album.