Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RHCFlea, Dec 25, 2001.

1. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    I got his CD from my aunt who claimed he was the "best bassist ever" (obviously someone hasn't heard of Jaco) and I haven't had a chance to play it yet but am wondering if it is any good and what his best stuff is. The Cd is a solo album, it's name is something about a Headache.

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
  3. Yeah man, learn YYZ for sure, it's a mad song if ou can nail all the riffs, some of them are a little bit af an ass to get your fingers around, but it all comes eventually.

-'rice

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It amazes me how many young people have never heard of Geddy Lee.

He is no Jaco, but he is one of the best rock/prog rock bassists ever IMHO, and one of the most influential rock bassists ever as well.

Check out some stuff by Rush, he is the singer, bassist and synth player for them.

Good starting points would be Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    What gets overlooked a LOT about Geddy Lee is his astounding multitasking ability. I can't remember seeing anyone pull of some of the things he's done in terms of switching from bass to keys, dancing on bass pedals, singing...and all the while being a good showman, playing some killer bass lines and interacting with the crowd and Alex and Neil. I doubt even Jaco could pull this off.

As a bassist who has to sing frequently, I admire this the most about Geddy. I just got the Chronicles DVD for Christmas and was reminded again.

6. Apples are not Oranges.

7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    ....or bananas even.

8. I still have to get that darn cd!!!

That is his (first)solo album and supposedly very very good.Geddy is one best bassplayers and musicians out there.:)

9. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Geddy Lee is great!! getting fancy on bass is one thing, getting fancy on a kicking 3 man rock band is another, specially if you are the singer.

You also need to have an excellent drumer and a very creative guitarist or you will sound tiny every time the guitarrist goes into a solo. NO matter how good you play.

10. I think anyone who has seen any live Rush would agree with this. I saw them when I was in grade 10 and was utterly blown away. I watch live video and always wonder how he does it. An amazing talent for sure.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    OMG you don´t know Geddy?? :eek:

he´s one of the biggest Claypool influence and for many bassists around the globe...

tell your Aunt she is COOL

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    [dumb answer] ... listen to the CD!

I guess the computer you're using to post doesn't have a CD-ROM drive in it? :D

Anyway, what embellisher and mchildree said.

A good slice of their 77-81 material is "Exit, Stage Left". And it's live. It rocks.

13. While I think Geddys CD is pretty darn good I like Alex Lifesons "Victor" better.

It would be hard for me to pinpoint a favorite Geddy/Rush disk, I say buy the first one and keep moving forward. If I had to say one it would be A Farewell to Kings, with Hemisperes pulling in a close second.

14. ...someone back me up on the YYZ one, seriously....

guys??

15. YYZ.:D Learning to play that right and being able to play it all the way through without getting the claw is an education in and of itself. It was for me. Definately a good way to increase speed and dexterity. YYZ is actually the airport code for Toronto and the pattern at the beginning is the pattern the control tower marker lights (or something, I don't know much about aviation) flash. That's pretty neat.
    I still can't believe a bass player never heard of Geddy Lee ;). I guess Rush hasn't really been in the limelight recently. Oh God, I should be shot for the pun. It was unintentional and I never noticed it until I proofread...honestly. But it's so horrible I'm leaving it in. :p

16. Yes, thankyou

Now all you young'ns run along and learn this here song.

17. Quite so Goatie boy, 'cept I do believe you'll find the intro is morse code for YYZ, perhaps it is also the way the station lights flsh,
    But yeah, none the less Y is -.-- and x is --..

Hence -.---.----..

-'rice

18. Morse code indeed! Of course. Cool. There are lights that flash that pattern so that pilots can identify the airport as Pearson and not one of the other airports in the area. There's at least two more within a small radius. Anyway Geddy and Rush rock in a serious way.:D

19. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Y'know, I like all the Rush albums...but whenever someone asks for my favorite tune, I always come back to the first album:

WORKING MAN

The bass isn't so acrobatic as later tunes, but the tone on the little bass intro to the guitar ride just kills me every time. It's just a GREAT song.

20. My dad is a big rush fan and he told me that while he was playin some times he'd play the keyboard with his feet...hehe