1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Whats your opinion on him?
    personaly he is my favorite

2. bl2112

bl2112

Jul 11, 2008
    Orlando
    He is my biggest influnce. I got to sit front row like 10 feet from him when rush play jones beach last year (7/2/07)
    He is the best bassist in rock. And anyone who thinks he sucks, I wanna see them play bass like that, sing and play foot pedals.

3. He's got a real high voice.

4. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    Since I first sat down with the fresh new 2112 album back in 1976 and listened to it all the way through twice in a row, I have been a fan of Rush and Geddy Lee.

What do I think of him as a bassist? One of the most talented I have ever heard, and certainly one of the most unique. I can tell it's him within a few seconds.
    I would never try to duplicate his playing style, because even though it has been with me for so long, I cannot imitate him well enough to do justice to it.

5. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    He is awsome one of my triforce of favorite bass players. Next to Steve Harris and Cliff Burton. Go Geddy.

6. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    :oops:He's a cool guy...

7. kebbs

kebbs Modus vivendi

Aug 30, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    Geddy Lee was my major bass influence. He made me realize that bass can become fairly complex in the rock idiom. He was also instrumental (no pun intended) in exposing me to jazz bassists such as Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Alain Caron, Gary Willis... Geddy is one of my top three influences. The man is also a fantastic composer.

8. I dunno if I'd go as far to say he is the "Best", but defiantly one of, if not the THE most INFLUENTIAL bassists in rock along side John Entwistle, Jack Bruce and Steve Harris. If you break songs down all modern bass lines can pretty much be tracked back to those 4

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Eh, he's no fieldy. :spit:

10. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Geddy is the best rock bassist, imo. To be able to write a bassline like the one in YYZ, but turn around and write something like the bassline to Lessons, it's just sheer skill and feeling.

In response to trb6pJM2, how is Steve Harris influential? I must've missed the boat, but I've never seen how he is influential.

11. Yeah, I shouldn't have thrown him on there but he was super influential to all of Power Metal, if you break down a blind guardian Gamma Ray or Angra song, it's a very Steve Harris like line. As well in most modern normal metal Iron Maiden's writing style has influenced a lot of people for more galloping music and Steve Harris wrote a lot of Iron Maiden's music.

12. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008
    [​IMG]

13. tonedeafmike

tonedeafmike

Jan 13, 2008
    Maryland
    My favorite. Love his bass lines and how they fit into the rest of their music.

14. First Bass.

15. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    i dont hate him but im not in love with him either

16. Who's Fieldy?

17. Then drums- last: Guitar. :)
    On topic, I hear Geddy Lee is Canadian. :eek:

18. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY

19. +1. Steve Harris can only dream about being as great as Geddy.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021