Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mrx41862, Jul 16, 2002.

1. I went to see Rush for the 26th time here on Long Island at Jones Beach, 15th row dead center. The show was GREAT! Geddy sounds awesome, he used Fender basses the whole show, a departure from breaking out the "Rick" at least for a few tunes. His fingers flew through tunes like YYZ and LaVilla, and it's interesting to see the new chordal approach he's taking on the newer stuff. For a little departure He came out with Alex and played an acoustic guitar for Resist, which was excellent. I love to watch a bass player who at "his" point in musical history tried to take the instrument in a new direction. Whether you like Geddy or not he gets granted this. Back when I was young the bassists I always aspired to play like were, Lee, Entwhistle, Sqire, Clarke, Pastorious, Graham, Bruce, Sheehan, Jones, to name a few. These days I especially admire, Vic Wooten and Stuart Hamm for the virtuosity they exude. I am sure there are many great players out there I am missing, either for non interest of the musical genre they're in or, just not enough time to cop them all. When I do come across them I give them their adulations due also, but having grown up with RUSH over the last 27 years...."GEDDY LEE STILL ROCKS" to me!
    It is always truly an experience to watch one of rocks premier bassists play. :D

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Geddy Lee still rocks, indeed.

3. thanks for the update, i only need to wait until friday for my 4th row fix..

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Geddy is THE BEST rock bassist ever, as far as I'm concerned! The man is a virtuoso.
    Some people don't realize that during concerts, the dude is playing bass, singing, and playing Taurus pedals (at least he used to) or setting off sequences by foot... at the same time.

I still have trouble nailing some Rush tunes, let alone trying to sing them, too. Add sequencers, etc... geez.

You know, Rush is like the only band out there that uses sequencers and no click track in the drummer's headset. Neil is a frickin' clock!

5. so tell us some details about the show. was it similar to TFE when they played 2 90 minute sets? i could really use some more info, please!!!!

6. They did a first set from 7:40 to 8:45 took a twenty minute break then played from 9:05 till 10:40. They rocked, they threw some new twists on old songs, done some new things they've never done before, and sounded strong. The bass playing was amazing, the timing impeccable, and the choice of tunes astounding. It was like seeing a RUSH History tour. Songs from way back right up to the new CD. I heard a few tunes I haven't heard played by them in 15-17 years. I don't want to give the whole show away for anyone that hasn't seen them yet, but if you're a RUSH fan you won't be let down.:D

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...errr...don't you mean Saturday???

They'll be in Chicago on the 20th. Unless you're seeing 'em in Milwaukee the night before...

I'm going to Chicago. Can't wait! This'll make show number 11.:D

8. friday at the marcus amphetheater, that place is awesome for concerts, and the weather will be GOOD!

9. thanks for the review, my blood will be boiling all week!

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I'm going tomorrow... not very far forward, about halfway. Still that should put me at stage level exactly (small venue) and we're dead centre. Good to hear the show is good this tour :D

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Just saw them on Sunday night, you other fans will NOT be disappointed. I've had the pleasure of seeing them play several times over the years, and even though they are older than ever, they have more intensity now than I've ever seen from them before. And it's not just the intensity of the band, but they are performing better than ever before too. The music is tight, groovin', and as a band, they look as comfortable as could be to be out and playing again. Ged's playing was quite intense!

I was extremely impressed with Alex this time around too. Though he's always been one of my absolute favorites on guitar, I've experienced some performances in the past where he didn't seem to put forth his best effort on stage. Maybe I was catching them at the end of the tour, who knows? This time though, he was nailing all the solos, especially the little things that make a good solo spectacular. Solos like the ones in Limelight and La Villa Strangiato come to mind. And man, the sound of the guitar on this tour was fantasic!

They played to a packed house the other night, and you can see how they really feed off the energy of the crowd. People were just so happy to see them again, no one more than me I can assure you. I hope they come around again on this tour, I'm f'n jonesin to see them again already! I'm still reeling from the show, just too good for words. My only regret is it seemed to go by so fast. They played a lot of material, but it's true what they say about 'time flies' and all.

Seeing them again really made me remember why Rush has always been my favorite band and biggest musical inspiration. I enjoyed the show so much, the actual impact of seeing them again didn't even hit me until the next day. They were so well rehearsed and it was a supreme pleasure to experience this tour. I'm still blown away.

12. Hey man im going tomrrow too! what row are you?

13. Man, I'm sooo jealous/pissed off....if I didn't have to go and work on Saturday, I'd go to the one in Milwaukee..dammit...and I just got into Rush not too long ago. :(

14. Geddy Lee definatley rules!!!
    His lines are so badass and technical
    Very challenging stuff to play

The solo in "Closer to The Heart" is ridiculoous!
    Im really looking forward to seeing Rush in September at the Staples center

15. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    There's a bass solo in "Closer to The Heart"? Sure you don't mean "Freewill"?

16. Just got home from Rush kicking my ass for 3 hours or so... damn.

I was really really far back but it was still great. The band was really tight, I couldn't decide which band member to watch because they were all so good. Can't remember the last time I've been to a concert where that's happened. Good lighting / video / pyro show as well.

I've only started listening to this band in the last month or so, and I'm sure glad I did :D

17. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Cool to see another TBer seeing Rush at home. I just got back, great weren't they? I was block 303, row H, those red seats behind the boxes.

18. Saw them last night in Milwaukee.

Amazing show - and Geddy's rig was the most impressive thing I've ever seen. He can't help but get great tone out of it.

Hey, fretbuzz - I was probably 30 rows behind you.

19. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    What was he playing out of? I thought he was going to be using trace stuff, w/3 DIs mixed differently to the house, but to the audience in Toronto, his rig was three maytag coin-op driers (the three "old reliables" Geddy, Alex and Neil) which they threw shirts out of at the end. They were mic'ed though so, I think they were on top of his cabs. Tone was great DI though :D he's using an Avalon U5, Demeter, and SABDDI.

20. He used the Maytags last night too :D

There weren't any cabs on Geddy's side of the stage - he was wearing an in-ear monitor, though.