Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bluephoenix75, Aug 22, 2000.

1. bluephoenix75

bluephoenix75

Apr 9, 2000
    Geddy Lee is definatly one of the best bassists out there. He has a styles all his own, made up of intricate rhythm and in some songs melody parts that make it easier to sing and play at the same time. Also he does incredible work with his synth-bass effects. I would reccomend any bassist to go pick up a copy of Rush's Exit Stage Left. (I ask anyone who disagrees to try to play YYZ or La Villa Strangiato without losing a finger).

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, there are quite a few guys on the board who share that opinion. do a search in bassists on Geddy Lee.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    He IS a great bassist. Now if we could only get him to STOP singing!!....:)

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, btw, geddy lee's solo album is due out october 24th 2000. it was cowriten with ben mink, the guy who played the electric violin on Losing It off of Signals.

rush is scheduled to go back in the studio in october as well.

some other interesting rush news, alex lifeson wrote the theme music for the up coming series Gene Roddenberry's andromeda

5. Hey John,

Thanks for that info. I've been out of touch lately, and didn't even know Geddy was doing a solo album! Any info on what other players are participating?

It's also great to hear the band will be doing another album. I can only imagine it will be stunning lyrically. For those who didn't know, Neil tragically lost both his wife and daughter recently (sorry I don't know the exact time frame). I still get choked up every time I look at the dedication in the liner notes of "different Stages"... :(

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know that the drummer from soundgarden, matt cameron (?) is playing on at least some of the songs.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    heh....Geddy Lee rules....how does he do that finger thing??? I was paying close attention to him during a video I saw once, and I noticed that he rarely seemed to use anything other than his first finger...I was like, how does he play those funky riffs? Like the one in YYZ? one finger....wow...

8. TheBassPlayer

TheBassPlayer

Aug 22, 2000
    He Probably does up and down strokes with one finger. i do that sometimes when i'm playing really fast and have to go up the strings in a hurry. i just hit the note with my index finger going up to hit the next string.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, that's what I fugured he did, but it's really comical to watch him play...it's as if he is commanding his strings to vibrate by simply pointing to the them....*wonders if geddy lee suffers from telekinesis*...hmmmmmmmm

10. bluephoenix75

bluephoenix75

Apr 9, 2000
    I don't think anyone "suffers" from telekenesis. It would be pretty cool. Rush songs aren't all that complex it's mostly changing strings over a few frets. but they're fast, which makes playing difficult. And the odd timing changes throw me off sometimes.

11. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Another "Geddy Lee" post...please use the search...anyway, he is my fav.! I will update you all on the new Rush....Geddy solo...and, the Alex, & 'son' projects, in future posts...STAY TUNED!!!

P.S. Go here for a 'tidbit' http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicRush/aug15_geddy.html

[Edited by mr2112 on 08-24-2000 at 07:11 PM]