1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee's bass collection to be documented in a book

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass.slinger, Oct 22, 2017.

1. bass.slinger

bass.slinger

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Ghastly, BeauZooka and TolerancEJ like this.
  2. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

dang. fall of 2018? oh, well... ;)

personally just want to see if his rick is encased behind glass like the mona lisa. :roflmao:

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I don't know if you saw it over on the Love Of Ampegs Part 2 thread, but Geddy and his writer Daniel visited my shop a few weeks ago, to interview me for some content in the book. Specifically, my knowledge of the history of the Ampeg Scroll Basses. It was great meeting and talking to him.

The story and pictures are here, page 57, post #1138, down towards the bottom of the page:

love of Ampeg and other Scroll Basses, Part 2

CPHarrison and Skybone like this.
  4. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Good story Bruce.

Looking forward to seeing Geddy's book.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    On it...

Edit: Not 5 minutes after original post, and what shows up on the radio... 'Freewill'*. I may choose not to decide, but I still will make the choice to get this book!

* It's all connected...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Malak the Mad likes this.
  6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    By the way, my understanding is that the book that Geddy and Daniel are writing isn't just a showcase of his collection. They are trying to tell the story of how the electric bass, as an instrument, developed from the 1950's into the early 1970's. The technology, the design ideas, the companies and the people that evolved the electric bass during that time period. That's what the book is about, although I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures of instruments in his own collection.

Geddy is very knowledgeable and fascinated by how basses are designed and built, today and back then. Most of their questions to me were about the Ampeg Scroll Basses (my specialty); the technical details of how and why they were designed and built. Other people they were interviewing had in-depth technical knowledge of other instruments of that era. This isn't just another vintage guitar picture book. I expect that it will be a very interesting read.

Skybone and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Rumor has it his follow up will be titled, 'Basses and Bad Jokes', so I may have to reserve a slot on my calendar for Geddy and our interview...

:cool:...

...:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:!

8. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Stoked, no doubt Geddy will put out an awesome book.

Spidey2112 likes this.