Geddy Lee's bass tone-Rush in Rio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FCM3, Oct 28, 2003.

1. just a few quick questions.
    I got the DVD last nite and its a must for Rush fans.

1) Any idea how is Geddy getting his bass tone?.
    His bass looks for all intents like a standard Fender jazz, but its sounds like its been hot rodded to heck. I can describe his tones as super punchy metallic almost like a tightly wound spring being hit by a metal hammer. I believe the tone is in the bass as the DvD documentary shows a few sec clips of geddy bass tech playing his bass during sound check and it sounds like the same tone.
    2) what happened to neil peart over the past 5 yrs. They treat him w/ kid gloves, and he seem real fragile.

As an aside, its great to see these middle aged guys rocking again. Alex appears to be fred flintstone w/ amazing guitar talent and neil is nothing short of amazing. Geddy of course is Geddy -an amazing index finger and second finger rake technique. Its gotta be the soup (inside joke on the DVD)
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    smash, was that an RBI or PSA-1 or actually THE sansamp (the original guitar pedal from tech21?)??

I heard he was using an RBI a few years ago in the studio. 'sansamp' is tech21's term for the emulation technology and the first pedal they made with it.

the psa-1 is a preamp with digital recall that incorporates the RBI circuitry and other sansamp circuits.
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I saw them in the local arena and he sounded great.I did notice he used 3 different Fender Jazz
    Basses during the show, as he does in the DVD.
    His original 72 that they modeled the "Geddy Lee"
    model after, then another black Jazz with a darker
    pickgaurd, then a red one with no pickgaurd,with what looked like a flame mapel top. I dont know
    if one or more was tuned down a 1/2 or whole step
    or not ? I know they used to tune down for some of the older songs. As far as the sans amp, he uses the rack mounted one, I saw an ad in Bass Player mag.
  4. Thanks so far.
    In the DVD Geddy uses two basses; the black w white pickguard jazz which sounds like the metallic plink and the red jazz which has a slightly more distorted but warmer tone. Personally his black jazz tone doesn't fit a lot of their early material. This metallic tone lacks any depth and really doesn't fillout the sound in Tom Sawyer and YYZ, while it seems to fit better in "leave that thing alone" and the newer material, especially when there is alot of synth to take up sonic space.
    If its a san amp straight up then I gotta check my sans amp as its has a nice gritty tube sound but doesn't sound like metal clanking metal.

Again to see these guys rocking out is fantastic and the behind-the-scenes documenary on disc 2 is worth the money alone. Just to here Neil peart warm up on a little 3 peice Perfect cussion set is amazing
  5. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I just watched disc one last night as well. I agree his tone is amazing on the recording...

I don't have any input into his tone though -- I couldn't even see what cabs he was using on stage...

I didn't catch them on the Vapor Trails tour, but I had heard from a few sources that his tone was breaking up a lot, and didn't sound very pleasing -- but I'm digging the DVD a lot.

6. missy51633

Oct 20, 2003
    inever saw the geddy lee's show or heard it but,,, a few years ago i was playing with a band doing a whole lot of sounds like you are describing and i fixed my fender precision to sound that way,,,.
    i put a thin piece of metal sheet under the brown board cover on front,,but you be careful if you do that cause it tedious,,
    this does make it sound like you're saying
    well now that i've put my2 cents worth in
    hey i think you're all a great bunch of great people ,and helpful too

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000

8. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I got the Rush In Rio dvd today and scanned through the concert and watched the documentary. I didn't know alex was so funny! I saw the bass rig on the documentary, the side of the rig, and I'm pretty sure there were two RBI's in the rack I don't know what else.

my two cents is I DID NOT like the tone on about half of the songs. I guess I prefere that less pointed tone.

I don't know if it was this thread, but someone was complaining about the quick cut editing? most of this was o.k. with me. if you want to see annoying watch paul Mccartney's Back in the U.s. ...YUK!
  9. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    OH I forgot....

10. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

:D :D
  11. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah I have kinda mixed feelings about Geddy's tone on the DVD as well. It's truly a raunchy sound, and it's fine for some songs, but for others like The Pass and Bravado it sounded really... odd (the bass parts on the original versions of those songs were played on a squeaky-clean Wal.)

I've always liked Geddy's tones, but the Fenders have always been my least-favorite (the Rickenbacker and Wal tones are my favorites, though they sound completely dissimilar. It all sounds like Geddy though. ;) )
  12. missy51633

Oct 20, 2003
    on fixing my bass to sound like you all were describing in here i left out the most important part,,,,,the thin sheet of metal is not to fit,,under the brown face of the bass it,, fits under the bridges and make sure you file the edges on you'll have some cut s on sure makes thebass sound like you are describing on here
    hope my 2 cents is good for something..
  13. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Oh, and all the Alex Lifeson moments are almost worth the price of admission itself. The documentary as well as the weird "jazz"/band introduction interlude on La Villa Strangiato. (I have another recording of him introducing Neil Peart as Bill Clinton, Geddy Lee also as Bill Clinton, and himself as Fabio. :D )
  14. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    another thing I thought was interesting about the Rio aspect of the concert, I kinda liked this, is the crowd chanting, shouting and singing along even with yyz "uh uh uh ohhhh, uh uh uh uhhhh ooohhh..." and their jumping up and down in a big mass of enthusiasm. that would be a fun crowd to play for!

Question: anyone know how to get to the 'easter eggs' on the dvd? the movie and old song? where is the 'vault' they mention on the sleeve?
  15. Hmmmm, too bad none of those "great and helpful people" seemed to have remarked your compliment @ missy51633
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    re: tone

I believe he's still using the u5/rbi combo, with the rbi serving up all the high end disto - wouldn't be surprised if the rbi's presence was up a good deal based on the high end twang he's got going there - I'm guessing the crew keeps two in the rack (as someone mentioned) so another is on demand if the first one fails

as far as the basses, the tuxedo '72 is standard, the black jazz drop D for Driven, and I believe the red is a whole step down

I have mixed feelings about Ged's tone on this one - I love that he really went all out on the crunch, it's aggressive and holds nothing back, kind of like his playing - it also fits well with some tunes...however, it lacks depth at times too