Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee's bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, May 29, 2001.

1. a couple questions:

1) How does the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass sound? I've seen it for around $600, which seems pretty cheap for an American Fender.. (I think its American)

2) What bass was Geddy using on the song 'Tom Sawyer'? I'm just getting into Rush, so I'm not quite sure of the album. He has a great tone..

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The Geddy is made in Japan. Don't let that stop you however, its every bit as good as an American model IMHO. Sounds great to me, but the greatest thing about it is the thin (front to back) neck, unlike any other Fender made.

If you're interested, buy it for what it is, not to get Geddy's tone, you'll need his fingers for that.

:D

3. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Geddy Lee used alot of basses, fender jazz, fender-p bass rickenbacker 4003, steinberger , but I think Tom Sawyer was moving pictures in 1981and the rickenbacker would have been used.

4. Actually, I'm pretty sure that Geddy used his fender jazz on the whole Moving Pictures album. I've played them before, great bass!

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    He used a Jazz to record Moving Pictures, his signature model is a replica of that bass.

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i just traded a p bass for a geddy lee about 2 months ago. playing wise it's probably the greatest bass i have ever played. smooth, thin, fast neck. much thinner than my MIA jazz.

tone wise, i do not much care for it. i can get a decent tone when playing with fingers, but playing with a pick sounds nasty. i have to adjust my EQ when i switch from my GL to my MIA.

The tuners are great on the up-tuning, but when you have to lower your tuning, you have to drop it down to comp back up, if that makes any sense.

Sustain? the BADASSII will ring forever if you let it. That has taken some adjustment.

Overall, it's a great bang for the buck IMHO.