1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee's four "Mystery Basses" for Clockwork Angels

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phantasm, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I was reading the Bass Guitar UK interview with Geddy Lee about Clockwork Angels today.

He mentions that his tech took four of the "same basses" and put different pickups in each. He said the differences were "interesting" and he used different basses on songs on the album depending on which one suited the song.

He never went into detail as to what type of basses they were or what type of pickups they were.

He also described using the Sansamp for "low end and overdrive" and the Orange for the "sounds like it's about to self destruct" part of the sound, but felt that those could be replaced with other items and replicate the same effect. He cited the Palmer speaker simulator and how it interacts with his bass as the "most important piece of gear for his sound."

Just found that interesting and wanted to share.

2. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Interesting. He's not afraid to experiment. I remember reading that when they were recording Counterparts, they found a busted up amp in a dumpster at the studio and tried it. They ended up using it, and actually recorded Animate with it. I think he even described the tone as similar to "about to self-destruct"... weird, wild stuff!

(At least, I think I remember that :ninja:)

3. Phantasm

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I remember reading the same thing, I don't remember if it was for Counterparts or Test for Echo though.

4. Im not sure if these are the basses he is refering to but in the new bass player magazine here are what they say about the 4 jazz basses he uses for the Album.

Black 72 Fender Jazz- original pickups although the bridge pickup has been rewound to virtually original specs by Tom Brantley in 2010

sunburst 72 Fender Jazz- custom made pickups by Tom Brantley

black 74 Fender Jazz- it has the original pickups with a little voodoo inside to get just a little something more out of them.

red custom shop Jazz - pickups from the Fender custom shop in a 60s style spacing.

Then there is a black jazz bass assembled from parts with pickups from Tom Brantley.

I dont know if this helps but the article says these are what he used on the album and will tour with.

5. Phantasm

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I figured the answers were out there somewhere. I've never heard of Tom Brantley but I'm going to guess this is going to sell him a lot of pickups.

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    ??!!! Martin Turner had a similar "seen its better days and about to blow up" amp for Wishbone Ash's "There's the Rub" album. As he put it:

"...a Fender Concert Amp quite a lot with 4 x 10ins speakers, it was already old and very used, and I am afraid I gave it a right hammering - I don't think its really a bass amp,but it did give the grunge and break up that I was after." http://www.wishboneash.co.uk/ask/1.aspx

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    The bass sounds on the new disk are outstanding, any way you look at it. Great playing, and great tones.