Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy lee's SG bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    What is it?

I saw a video wich seemed to be pretty old(including the drumsolos) and he was playing a SG bass and it sounded GREAT!
    IT sounded way better than on live in rio where he played the fender jaz - which i think sounded pretty much crap..

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Are you sure it wasn't a Wal? Basses Ive seen Geddy use live, both in person and on video include several different jazzes, a Ric, a Wal, and a Steinberger. No Gibsons. That's not to say he DIDN'T, but I've certainly never heard of Geddy using one.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    An SG styled bass will almost certainly be an EB-3 or EB-0 if it is an origional (circa 1960s) bass, a new, modern day one one will be the Gibson SG reissue. EB series basses weren't renown for their tone out of the box but Geddy may well have modified his. If it had two pickups and predated the SG reissue (still on sale) then it was an EB-3, a single neck pickup would mean it was an EB-0. An easy way to tell the difference between a reissue and one of the origional EB series basses is that the EB series have a thumb rest, the reissue does not. Also, on the EB-3 the bridge pickup is covered, on the reissue it is not. On the EB-0 the pickguard does not extend beneath the strings, on the EB-3 it does, it covers a much larger area. Hope this helps!

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Of course my above post assumes it is indeed actually a Gibson...

5. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
  6. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    On the YYZ clip with the drum solo Geddy plays a Wal. At first i thought it was a Gibson or a Guild because of the bodyshape, the head, the pickups and the knobs.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah - it was wal!

And dont they have the SG shape? I think they have.

[​IMG]

Now i have gas, to bad i can never afford one...

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There is nothing wrong with having and expressing an opinion. It's not like his Rio tone was the Holy Grail of bass tone anyway (though I liked it too).

9. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Well so lets go back, to the best of my Memory, Geddy started with a p bass, then switched to the 4001 rick, but modified that old p, to a sort of teardrop shaped thing he had for a while, He also used a Rick double neck 4/12 during the Farwell to kings/Hemispheres time.
    He used a Stienberger 4 around Grace under preasure, then moved over to the Wal about Open windows and used it for many recordings, His switch to the J bass came as Rush shifted sounds again.
    I think Geddy said in a magazine he got to the point where he was tiered of playing with the mathamatics and wanted to find the Groove again.

Im sure someone can fill this in.

Edit......I didnt read the hyperlink above, opps :meh:

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Um...have you ever seen an SG? [​IMG]

11. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yes, i have.

And i still think it lookss similar, biggest difference i can see is the horns.

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well, that and it's a gu!t@r!!!

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Doesn't Cheryl Crow play an SG Bass?

14. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Yeah, but doesn't the SG bass look a little bit like a SG guitar?

15. I was looking through my old copies of Bassist, and they had a feature on the very first Wal- built for John G Perry, and it was short-scale with a definite Gibson EB3 influence in its body shape.
    so the eventual Wal shape may indeed have had its roots in the SG/EB3.

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, I was just kinda messin with ya'.

But IMO, the Wal looks like it would be dead center between the Gibson and a Fender P.

17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    That´s curious.
    I´ve always thought that the Wal era, represented GL modern tone and Ricks / Fender era, his original tone.
    He finally made a comeback to his roots.

18. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I know, I was just warning him to be careful. No harm done.

It's back to the old Jazz, definately, but his equipment is way different (Say Sansamp direct?), which has made his modern JAZZ tone significantly different.

19. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Could someone tell me some rush songs where geddy is playing a ric?

I wanna hear how it sound, i guess he's Wal is my favourite.

20. Geddy used his Ric from around "Fly By Night" right through until "Grace Under Pressure", although he used his Jazz on parts of "Permanent Waves", "Moving Pictures" and "Signals".

The Steinberger was used on "Grace Under Pressure" and then it was the Wal on "Power Windows", "Hold Your Fire" and "Presto".

IIRC it was from "Roll The Bones" onward that he almost exclusively used his Jazz.

Hope this helps :D