Geddy Lee's stuff (Please Help!!)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassWizard45, Jun 10, 2001.

1. BassWizard45

BassWizard45 Guest

Apr 1, 2001
    Rome, Georgia
    Dear loyal Rush fan's,
    I have serched all over the web and I cannot find a single piece of infomation about the gear Geddy used on the Exit...Stage Left tour (and relative time period). I just love the sound he got from that Rickenbacker. I like that sound so much, that I'm selling my old Epiphone LP and drum set to buy a Rickenbacker. I have had Exit..S.L. ever since I was in 2nd grade (I am now 15), and it has remained my favorite album of all. Well, I'd just like to know what type amps and any effects that he used.

thank you so much.
  2. Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    I remember seeing Geddy using a Black and White Rickenbacker on the first live album but i know that he also used a double neck Rick along with a Steinberger and then switched to the Fender Jazz and the Various Wals.
  3. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that page has many inaccuracies on small things, but overall it's a decent accounting of his rigs.
  5. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    care to elaborate on some of those inaccuracies, o keeper of the off-topic forum?
  6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, the obvious "'74 jazz bass" when it's really a '72.

the earliest ric he had was white w/black binding - i have a boot video of them performing anthem and fly by night where he is playing this bass.

also, geddy didn't get the white 4080 till after hemispheres. the black one's model number is a 4080/12

he said in an interview in guitar player right after power windows came out that he recorded that whole power windows album with peter collins' wal, which was natural finish wood grain, not black. he didn't get the black wal till the tour came around. he never took the 5 string wal on tour, according to an interview after hold your fire came out.

i've always heard his old pew-era preamps were furman preamps. i think ashley and furman were connected in some way. now furman only makes power-supply related products.

like i said, little things - otherwise that's a good list of the gear.
  7. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    I hate to point this out, but Geddy's first Ric was the black one. He did, however, buy the white one in the subsequent years.
  8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let me clarify - the site says that he got the white ric around a farewell to kings. i have proof that this isn't so - he's playing it on a bootleg video where he performs fly by night and anthem, dated before the release of fly by night.
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Let me add what lots of us "Ged-Heads" have already learned: the key to that tone isn't so much the Rick as how Geddy plays coupled with his setup. I had a '78 P-bass once that absolutely nailed that tone, but I had to set the action kind of low and play hard. A Precision is one of the last basses you'd expect to be capable of that tone. I've heard other players get really close to that tone using a variety of stuff. More touch than gear.
  10. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Sorry JT...I misunderstood your original post....
    McChildree...I agree. I've long had a theory about that. An individual's tone starts in his hand and technique. Period. That's why I can get my "characteristic" sound on almost any amp/bass combo. Although amps and basses CAN be used to color and alter your tone, your physical dimensions and technique begin the process and any alterations are skewed from that point.
  11. ytsebri nailed it. It has much more to do with how you play than what you play it on, it seems.

Given the opportunity, wouldn't it be interesting to walk on stage at a Rush concert (hell, even a soundcheck), with Geddy's gear ALL dialed in, HIS bass and everything, and you get up there and try to play YYZ. While you might hit all the notes perfect, it'll still sound like you and not Geddy unless you can play exactly the way he does.

But I digress...see the first two sentences in my post :D