1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee's technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I've never seen someone with a more puzzling and original style on any instrument. What exactly is going on? How does he mute? Where does his thumb go?

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Not even Marty Friedman? Or that dude that plays the bass upside down or whatever?

3. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    yup ....you're right...Ged's thing is pretty weird ....i was watching Time Machine the other night and noticing he'll hit a few notes with his finger down by the bridge pup ...next few notes he's way up beyond the neck pup .....very odd ....he seems to do alot of digging and flicking with his index finger.

he doesn't seem to have a great need to anchor his thumb ....although he does sometimes ...

4. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Geddy Lee makes a lot of use of the flaminco strumming thing. It's been a thing of his for a long time, from my understanding.

I'm sure he does the right hand position shift just to get a different sound. Closer to the neck = bassier and more fret buzz. Closer to bridge = less bass/clearer with less fret buzz.

5. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

you're right! these guys have funky technique too ....marty's picking style is one of the oddest i've ever seen!

it's kinda hard to say it's ackward and wrong when he is one of my favorite metal soloists ever!

6. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Ah found the upside down bass dude. Name's Quintin Berry.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    One thing I noticed about playing Rush bass lines is I gotta have perfect right hand posture. Fingers absolutely parallel to the frets. Thumb nicely tucked behind the neck like you see in instructional book pictures.

Maybe it's just me though...

The bass solo in La Villa is just stupid. I mean, who plays like that?!? I can do it - I'm just saying... :eek:

8. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Since Counterparts or so, Geddy's been using one finger with the nail grown out slightly as a makeshift pick, in his effort to find a more pick-like sound without a pick. It essentially consists of flicking back and forth across the string. I can't do it to save my life with anything except the G string (as I don't hit other strings from there), but somehow he has it down to a perfect technique.

He's also mentioned using classical technique, using his thumb and another finger to play two strings in timing impossible for one finger or a pick.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Alot of muting can be done with the ('fretting') left hand. Sightly dragging an unused finger against the string dampening it, or quicky lifting your fretting finger(s) as soon as you pluck the note but not lifting it off the string for a fast decay are just two ways we do it.

10. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Very amusing to watch. He clearly mutes with the thumb of his fretting hand (something I like to do as well).

11. Rion

Rion

Aug 13, 2011
    He shows how in this video