1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Neck Pickup very weak?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Dug my geddy out of moth balls to get it in sellable condition. I got the pickups back in (used to have Model Js in it) and wired it all up. However, the front pup is very weak sounding... the bridge pup seems much more ballsy and sounding right and proper. The front pup sounds weak and tinny.

Any ideas? I changed the front pup pot and it made no difference (thought the 500k pot was the source of the problem).

Could it be a matter of just raising the pickup?

Any other thoughts?

2. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    yup, raising the pickup would be a good thing to try

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It didn't work.

I raised the pickup as high as it can go without it hitting the strings and that didnt seem too much help..

The ground wire off the pickup is pretty thin. Would replacing that solve the issue? I doubt it, but I am kinda grasping at straws here.

Again I am getting sound but the sound is very anemic... it sounds like its not "engaged" properly... like something is wrong.

4. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Could you measure the ohm's on the pup? Maybe it shorted or something. I have a pair of Geddy pickups on my bass and they sound terrific :hyper:

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I dont have the proper equipment for that.

Can a pickup short?

6. SimonQwerty

SimonQwerty

Jul 24, 2012
    Hi! As far as I know Geddy goes with Fender "Original jazz bass pickup set" installed. This pickups have quite solid wires going from. How is it possible for ground wire to be thin? It should be the same as hot one. Some pics may help... Like that maybe, with more details.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The pickups were replaced with Model Js. In the meantime the groundwire from the neck pup came off while it was sitting amongst my junk. I soldered on the thin wire.

At any rate I think I am going to put the Model Js back in. Someone else told me that it sounds like the pup has an internal short and that is likely the problem. It definitely sounds 'broken'.

8. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    Switch the positions of the neck and bridge pickups and supposedly it'll be just like Geddy's personal bass. It has a short in the bridg PU giving it a very characteristic tone.

Just kidding of course, but it's true about Geddy's PU. It probably has more windings functioning than yours though (a less serious short) if that is indeed the problem with your PU.