1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

geddy neck question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Azwethinkweizm, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Azwethinkweizm

Azwethinkweizm

Aug 3, 2007
    ive tried the geddy lee jazz bass at guitar center and loved it. ive heard great things about it but i was wondering if the neck is graphite reinforced since it is so slim. also, recommended alternate pickups for that bass.

2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Pretty sure they don't have graphite.

As for the pickups - there are at least 5-10 threads about it, some with soundclips so do a search. Lots of people go DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and Nordstrands are popular too.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    To the best of my knowledge, none of the Japanese models use graphite reinforcement.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've not had any problems with the neck on my 3 year old GL twisting. But have read about occurances of twisting. Just make sure that you sight down the neck before you buy one.

I've also notice that the neck on mine doesn't really seem to change it's setup during weather changes. Although I just can't get the set up as low as I'd really like due to the relief. But for a $600 bass it rocks.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Try the PUPs first before swapping them out. They sound fabulous.

6. +1

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The neck and the pups are what make me GAS for it!

8. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I suppose they sound really nice, but all the Geddy basses I've tried have had really low output pickups. If the OP is okay with jacking up the gain on his amp, that shouldn't be a problem. Some people have a real problem with low output pickups, though.

Dimarzio Model Js seem to be a popular upgrade. They're pretty cheap too.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

+1 ..... but the tuners are crap IMO.

I just started playing my Geddy again this week as I am getting sick of playing a 5er in one of my bands as I really don't use the low B much.

It is such a great bass. The only issue I am having (besides the crap tuners) is the at the A string is jumping out of it's nut saddle when I play hard.

10. The tuners aren't crap.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Mine are.

They all have different tension and my A string tuner is very hard to turn.

12. I'm not familiar with the Geddy tuners, but do they have the adjustment screw on the peg for "tightness"?

13. Eddy Lee

Eddy Lee

Aug 24, 2007
    The Geddy Lee Jazz Bass has dual truss rods, much like Rickenbackers.

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes they have the adjuster. I've never found a problem with them. But I started on an old Fender P bass anyway.

And I bought a set of the DiMarzios but have been able to bring myself to change the pickups. They are buzzy around certain lights since they are single coils. I just roll the neck pickup up a bit and they are quiet.

You might want to take your GL to a repair shop and have the nut filed. It's a two second job.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The only way to get dual truss rods with a geddy bass is to buy two of them.

16. Oh yeah! What a great idea! :bassist:

17. i bought mine with SD vintage jazz pickups in it and it sounds amazing.

18. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    With all due respect. Where in the heck did you come up with this total garbage? Or are you just trying to be funny?

I've had my GL or almost two years. It has been a very stable bass with regards to weather changes. I did take my tuners apart and clean them up ad adjust them for better feel. Mine seem to work well, and do not slip. My pickups sound good, but I'm thinking of going with some mods to them. I've had no problem dialing in an ultra low action on my bass, without a neck shim.

It is a very good bass, but it is not for everybody. Some people just don't like the thin neck.

19. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Take a Geddy, throw in a set of DiMarzio Model Js and an Audere 3-band JZ3 preamp and you've got a tone monster!

Randy

20. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    My neck changes with weather - I just tweak the trussrod
    I did not like the low output original p'ups - Quarter Pounders now.
    My stock tuners were wonderful - but I prefer Ultralights

It is a great bass.