1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Nut on my p. yes or no

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jordan_frerichs, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i have a squier vm p. plays good. want a faster neck. i want to slim off some of p bass neck bulk, and hear the thinest neck that still fits squier/fender string/bridge/pickup spacing is the geddy lee signature bass. the the manager of the local guitar shop has a band, and his bassist owns a geddy. i think i could have them track down an identical nut, and then sand it down to get a close match to his bassist's geddy, then give the shaped neck to me, and i will satin it.
    do you think this is a good idea? will it work?

2. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i have never played a geddy. i have played an ibanez SR and SRX. liked the thin necks, but was used to fender style necks. could easily get used to them within a few days. figure this was a good way to get close to that, without the having to get used to a new feel

3. I think I'd be sure that whoever was doing the work on the neck knew what they were doing. Adding the nut should be the least of your concerns. A mistake could turn the neck into firewood in a matter of minutes.

4. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    yeah. i no. i will ask them a few Q's first. if they are not 100 percent confident in there work, they know a luthier a town or 2 away that could hook me up.

i will of course go up to GC and give the geddy a spin first, to make sure it is what i want, but so far, it seems pretty efing awsome

5. I believe the nut is the same width as the standard fender jazz, it's just the backside that's been trimmed down.

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    interesting. will look into this. what are your thoughts on sanding it to be geddy-simalar? do not worry about the value being lowered. i scalloped sme high frets, and parcialy sanded the headstock logo.

7. I'd be concerned that you might sand into the truss rod cavity. At least that would be MY fear. It would be interesting to know how the truss rod channel compares to a regular jazz.

8. The nut on a Jazz Bass is 1.5". The neck on a Geddy will be that wide at the nut. A Geddy's neck is thinner (front to back) than a typical Jazz Bass not narrower from side to side.

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Turning a P bass neck into a J bass neck is a non-starter, IMO. The dimensions (including the width at the nut) are very different.

10. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    thank you for the more in depth explanation

11. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    yeah. if i had a j nut put on, i want to make sure whoever is thining my neck isn't doing something stupid like puting at top, and sanding out the bottom, vise versa

12. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    it looks so farm the main concern is running into the truss channel. does anyone know if the truss rod/channel are different in p and j necks?

also, if this is proven not to work, are there any j necks that are a fit to the neck pocket on my vm p that would work better? it would be sweet if the vm j neck fit

13. A VM Jazz neck should (as opposed to definitely would) fit into a VM Precision neck pocket. All they did to the Geddy neck was remove some wood from the back so it would be thinner...it was a Jazz neck to begin with In plain English, you'd freakin' crazy to try to turn a P-Bass neck into Geddy neck for a number of reasons...the expense and the probability of screwing it up are 2 that come to mind.

14. +1 You'll be money, time and quality ahead to just buy a replacement jazz profile neck and swap the necks. Used jazz necks are easy to find and unless you're going for true vintage stuff, reasonably priced.

15. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Generally speaking, most (20-fret 4-string) Fender P and J neck pockets are more or less the same size, so ideally you could swap your P neck with any Fender-compatible J neck. In reality, there's some slight variation from one maker to another, so you might have to have the neck pocket trimmed a little bit, but you'd be much better off picking up something like an Allparts J neck than trying to cut down your existing Squier neck.

Mike

16. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    how about just picking up an SX jazz? it should save you boatloads in the long run. then you can keep your bastardized P, and have a J. shouldn't be too different pricewise than finding a J neck.

17. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    checked them out. look pretty good.

18. Just be warned that the SX jazz neck is larger overall than a Fender jazz neck.

19. and also just be warned that this is going to cost you probably more than you paid for the bass. and its not that easy to just change the dimensions of one neck into another. width wise (across the nut/neck, which is where the major difference from P to J lies) is nearly impossible. thickness wise you can definitely reshape a neck's profile, but anything too drastic and you avoid compromising the truss rod cavity.