Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jan 17, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Did the original Fender Geddy Lee Jazz basses (1998-2000) come with American vintage Pickups?

and...

Do the new releases of this bass come with Mexican jazz Pickups?

I heard that the Geddy bass was dicontinued for a year or so, then brought back because of demand.

The Fender site just says "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups (Mid & Bridge)"

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When the GEddy Lee was originally released, it had American Vintage pickups in it.

The "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups" are probably manifactured in Japan. This custs the cost & increases the profit.

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
  4. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    How would the Dimarzio J pickup in the bridge location effect the sound? Would it mix well with the vintage pickup?

Or should both Dimarzios be added if I decide to do this upgrade?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like Dimarzio pick-ups. It might sound good together but your ears will be the final judge. I would try to change one of them 1st & see how it works out. If it sounds fine, than you don't have to buy a 2nd new pickup. :)