1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jan 17, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Did the original Fender Geddy Lee Jazz basses (1998-2000) come with American vintage Pickups?

and...

Do the new releases of this bass come with Mexican jazz Pickups?

I heard that the Geddy bass was dicontinued for a year or so, then brought back because of demand.

The Fender site just says "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups (Mid & Bridge)"

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When the GEddy Lee was originally released, it had American Vintage pickups in it.

The "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups" are probably manifactured in Japan. This custs the cost & increases the profit.

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Great, thanks.

4. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    How would the Dimarzio J pickup in the bridge location effect the sound? Would it mix well with the vintage pickup?

Or should both Dimarzios be added if I decide to do this upgrade?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like Dimarzio pick-ups. It might sound good together but your ears will be the final judge. I would try to change one of them 1st & see how it works out. If it sounds fine, than you don't have to buy a 2nd new pickup. :)