1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy playing a Rick 4003?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chutsk10, Jul 22, 2007.

1. So for those of you who have seen RUSH on their 2007 tour, was Geddy playing a 4003 Rick possibly?

I didn't get a close enoguh look, but form what i saw, it looked brand new and it didn't have the badass bridge conversion. Just curious if anyone knows the model of it.

2. On this tour, Geddy is playing the Rick on "A Passage To Bangkok." Not sure if it's a new one or not.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    It looks new but I was so shocked to see it that I was trying to point it out to my son and did not get a good detailed look at it.:meh:

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    In another post, it was suggested to be a 4003 as there was no BAII bridge on it like Geddy's old Rick...

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Well it did look really shiny and new so that makes sense.

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    A good way to tell is by the headstock. Was the headstock that of a 4001 model or 4003 model? Did he have a toaster neck pup?

7. What's the difference in the Headstocks? besides the small writing on the trussrod cover?

The neck pickup is not a toaster whihc made me think 4003, but i just noticed I hae a poster of him back in the day with he same bass... but id ont know if that's a 4001 or 4003 so it doesnt help haha, when did the 4003 come into production?

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    4003 came into production around the 1970's i believe..maybe 80's. The headstock on new 4001's are reversed so the tip of the headstock is on the left, not right. (Vice versa if you're looking at it from the front.)

9. The 4003 began production in the early 80s. Visually it is identical. the main difference is that it features a better neck to help cope with roundwound strings which was something that some of the older ones struggled with.

the only Ricks that have the reverse headstock are the Paul McCartney model and one other that escapes me.

I've had a look at a video on Youtube but its impossible to tell whether its a 4003 or another pawn shop special

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Oh right, it's the C64 and C64s