Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy? Spector? Ahh!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SIRPHYSCO1, Mar 10, 2005.

1. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Hello I'm lookin for a new bass because right now i have a crappy Affinity P-bass and would like to upgrade. I play a little of everthing except for metal and country and i like playing Ska/Punk/jam rock. which do you think is the best for me? I've been looking at the Geddy Lee Jazz, Spector Perforance series, and the Spector Euro Rebop series. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id rule out spector performance series, they are..not great.

Professional series (legends) is worth looking into, as are the Euro Rebops.

A Geddy Lee jazz is a great bass, and great quality, and not too expensive.

Between those choices id go with either the Rebop or the Geddy lee. Personally, id go with Rebop because i feel it has GREAT versatility and a great tone for lots of music. The Geddy gets a great vintage jazz tone but it isnt the tone id think for punk/ska etc.

3. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    if you get a geddy lee make sure it is one you can touch and play, not mail order. the necks can be tricky because they are so thin. I would get a spector regardless. the legends are a great bass and a big step up from the affinity you mentioned without breaking the bank.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Oh i didnt realize that couldnt tell. woops

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Chrome hardware = Performance

Just remember that, people on Ebay have no idea and usually post the wrong info in regards to Spectors.

8. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Yeah what threw me off was the active electronics. but he was probably wrong

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Once you look at spectors more youll be able to tell by many ways. The shape of the body is a dead giveaway, it is a slab, not curved. And i dont think he was wrong about the active thing, cept its active electronics, not pickups, i believe they still do have a 2 band EQ.

10. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Thanks for the advice

11. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I think the performance series is all passive, no pre amp at all. The rebop and legends both have EMG-HZ pickups which are passive, but both series include a pre-amp, 2 band for the Rebop and 3 band for the Legends.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Very different basses. IMO, the Spector is gonna have more of a hi-fi, refined tone than the Geddy, which will be more aggressive. The Spector *might* cut through better in some applications. The Geddy has a much thinner neck.

Both are nice basses, but almost total opposites of one another.

13. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    going to GC today. What should I expect to pay for a Spector Rebop 4?

thanks-

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If it is one of the older models (pre this year) with the dot inlays, i think they sell them cheaper now, like $599-$799. If its a new DLX with block inlays, probably closer to $899?

15. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Allright, Thanks a lot.

16. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Went to GC today and i really like the Spector Legend 4 Bubinga. All the europes seemed to be really clanky but thats probably because i play kinda hard they also seemed to be suckily set up. Just wondering if there is going to be a difference between the Bubinga and the regular legend bodys in tone or anything.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not too noticeable if at all.

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey Fig, I don't think the Performance series have active electronics, that bass is fully passive. Just checked their site, I think each pickup has it's own tone control...

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ah i see, alrighty