1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Geddy-style 70s Lawsuit-era Japanese Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sunbeast, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    For all of you David Wm. Simms/ Jesus Lizard fans (though his has a rosewood fretboard).... I love these 70s Japanese Fender copies and have accumulated a small collection of some particularly nice examples. Unfortunately I can't really afford to have a collection at this point and an agro 70s Jazz just isn't the right fit for my band right now so this guy (and most of my other basses outside of my Rickenbacker) is just collecting dust.

001_zpsdfbba7ff. 005_zps469d9841.

More pictures: http://s129.photobucket.com/user/sunbeast/library/1970s Memphis Jazz Bass

Not sure on the actual year on this, but the neck and hardware are nearly identical to my '76 Ibanez Jazz so I would guess they are sisters from the same assembly line more or less. The frets could use a polish, but there is only just noticeable fret wear around the money frets and years of life left. If you haven't played one of these, the necks are incredible- super fast and smooth.
    When I received it, much of the hardware had been worn and rusted heavily. I cleaned it up quite a bit and replaced the bridge and control plate with the originals from my Ibanez. I also added vintage-style Fender threaded saddles. The tuners are original and very nice (they weren't rusted like the other hardware)- one of the more obvious differences between the higher and lower end Japanese copies. The neck plate and strap pins are original and tarnished/rusted as can be seen in the pictures. The pickguard is original and one screw is broken off in the body.
    I rewired it completely with all new CTS pots and Switchcraft jack and added a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Split Coil pickups. I also completely copper shielded the control cavity and around the pickups and it is now the quietest bass I have. The sound is bright and aggressive 70s Fender- probably the most so of any Jazz I've owned. I used 500k pots for the Volumes and 250k for the Tone, but modded the Tone so that it is "no load" when all the way up so you can get that uber-bright grind if you want it. had Nordstrand NJ4s in it before and the tone isn't hugely different, so I think the tone is the bass and pickup location as much as anything. The Fralins definitely have more output and a bit more punch in the low mids than the Nordstrands did, though still have that clarity.

I could use the money for other gear needs right now, so probably not looking for any trades. Looking to keep it local Los Angeles area ideally to avoid shipping. Looking for $500 with the Fralin Pickups or $350 without them. Will now ship for $350 with the original pickups or$500 with the Fralin split-coils. Doesn't have the original chipboard case, but I will include a Gator foam case or other hard case possibly.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    R&B likes this.
  2. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    David Wm. Simms wannabes apply within!

3. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    The EXACT same assembly line, and the exact same guys making the basses :)

GLWTS!

4. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bump- just did a full copper shielding job and now it's even quieter than before! Want to keep it even more now- but in the poor-house and need money!

5. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Zoom!

6. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    I have a black Memphis just like yours except with a rosewood board. Excellent quality bass and well worth the money.

GLWTS!!!

7. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Price drop- $350 shipped with the original pickups or $500 with the Fralins. Locals PM me for a cash deal!

8. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Still here!

9. Tanner Newport

Tanner Newport

Mar 27, 2016
    Would you take $300

10. $350 for this is an awesome deal

11. Mfsf

Mfsf

Jul 28, 2016
    Any chance this is still available?

12. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It is actually still here. I had planned to keep it again, but as before it has just sat collecting dust as my Rics get 100% of the play time!

13. Mfsf

Mfsf

Jul 28, 2016

14. Mfsf

Mfsf

Jul 28, 2016
    Wanna sell? It's my dream bass since I can't afford a ric