1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy tone rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razzek, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Razzek

Razzek

Dec 1, 2009
    I have some friends coming to town to jam Rush tunes and wanted to get close to Geddy’s bass tone. I’m putting together a rig for this jam and was hoping some folks might have some experience to share with his setup.
    I’ve got the SansAmp GED 2112 which is a big part.. I’m curious if anyone has tried incorporating the Palmer speaker emulator or Orange AD200 MK3 (or blending all of it). Very interested in thoughts, please let me know if you have paired any/all of these together. Thanks!

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I am not a huge Geddy fan, but I have read a little about him and a lot of his sound comes from his technique. He plays pretty much right over the neck pick up and really wails on the strings.

In late 1985, a buddy of mine had a Ric 4003 and I had a 4001 and an SVT with an 810. My buddy was a huge Rush fan. When I played it sounded nothing like Geddy. As soon as my buddy plugged in, he pretty much nailed Geddy's tone. I handed him my 4001 and it sounded almost exactly the same, except my action was a little too low to completely pull it off.

IMHO try going straight into the AD200B. Start with the Bass and Treble around 9 o'clock and the Mids around 3 o'clock. Increase the gain until you start to get a little bit of drive and then rock out.

Google "Geddy Lee Technique" There are lots of threads on Talkbass to read.

Arthur U. Poon and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Razzek

Razzek

Dec 1, 2009
    Thanks Wasnex, that’s good advice, especially coming from someone not a fan of Geddy. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and taking the time to reply!

I didn’t buy the Orange yet, since it’s pretty pricy.. I do have the SansAmp and am working with my local sound engineer on pairing with power amps and he’s researching the preamp to align a roadmap for blending via 4 channel mixer potentially or splitting load with two cabinets (I do already have the OBC410). If we go the route of sending the deep channel separately I might grab a 15”

I have never messed with the Palmers before, which is why I was curious about others experience with the tones.

Thanks again for the advice!

Wasnex likes this.
  4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact

Nov 30, 2011
    I have tried many variants and have included the Palmer for a significant amount of time, but find it somewhat redundant with the deep channel on the 2112 (although I would probably still be using it if I had more rack space)

I cheated and ran an Orange amp sim by routing through Amplitube. It was pretty effective at getting that sparkly sweet Clockwork Angels sound. However, that's the only album that features that tone, so not essential.

Ironically the piece of gear that hits the mark is the Sansamp VTBASS RM, although Geddy never used one. It helps with some of the early tones where he might or might not have been using an Ampeg amongst other things. It's a little more crunchy and honky than the RPM OD which is the same stack used in the 2112.

Honestly, the Ged-2112 alone is really more than enough to be successful in a Rush jam. I'd find some Rush .mogg files and listen to his recorded bass isolated. It's a lot easier to cop the tone when heard in isolation, and it's usually dirtier and greasier than it sounds in the mix.

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact

Nov 30, 2011
    PS - The Orange alone would require separate speakers or a load box of some kind. It can't be run without a load on it, which makes it more difficult to run in a preamp/poweramp setup. That makes it an even more expensive proposition.

6. Razzek

Razzek

Dec 1, 2009
    Thats a good call, thanks DM! I probably wouldn’t want to invest in the Orange just for a once a year jam when the SansAmp will get me close enough to the tone, especially if I run the high and deep different voicing into separate cabinets. My engineer friend asked me to bring the preamp by to test variety of speakers to see what we like best for each and the blended voicing together. He said when he was younger he had an old 60’s celestian 12 cabinet and replaced a blown speaker with a random different one he had laying around, and got a ton of compliments on his guitar tone. He’s been blending ever since.

7. honestly, I'd just try to ape his technique as much as possible, and that's at least half of it right there.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Just try to play as many of the notes as you can. Worry about the tone later.

9. Gefilter1001

Gefilter1001

Apr 25, 2018
    Endorsing Artist - Tech 21, D'addario, Hipshot, Conquest Sound Cables
    Right hand, Sansamp, compression.

10. strategy400

strategy400

Dec 13, 2008
    straight neck, low action. Part of his tone is buzzing frets.