Geddy Vs. Marcus: bass showdown

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Sep 9, 2002.

1. I own a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and just bought a Marcus Miller Jazz on Saturday. I thought the Marcus would sound just like the Geddy (same bridge, same shapes of neck & body, same factory in Japan, etc), but with a selectable preamp.

I figured I'd sell the Geddy.

However, these basses sound quite different, and now I'm leaning towards keeping both. The Geddy has a hotter passive output (different pickups?), and a more aggressive, midrangey tone (alder body instead of ash?). The Marcus has a more clean and "scooped" sound, even in passive mode.

Has anyone else tried these back-to-back? Were your conclusions similar to mine?

AM I crazy to keep both???
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had the same experience you did. Two different sounding basses. I liked both... liked the GL more than I thought I would.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey if you like the MM jazz bass now there is a modifacation you can do to make it sound even better, It requires re-wiring the toggle switch so the bass plays truly passive. The way it is from the factory in passive mode it is still running through the pre-amp with the pre-amp set flat. This mod allows you to go true passive so all you here is the WOOD. Ive done it and it also saves the battery. Thats why MM basses kill battery's so fast, the pre-amp is always on. Seach the talkbass forum archives for this.