Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy's Best

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Knives, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    Ok, so I bought a Geddy Lee Jazz a few weeks ago and I feel almost obligated to atleast hear what Geddy sounded like. Since for the most part I am broke, I would just like to purchase some of his best work. Would you guys make suggestions as to which album I should purchase?

Kevin "Knives"

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Well, IIRC Geddy didn't use the Jazz till "Moving Pictures". IMO, best albums with that classic Geddy tone are "A Farewell to Kings" and "Hemispheres". Those were his trusty Ric tho.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I can honestly say when I listen to YYZ off of Moving Pictures, I become slightly (sometimes more than slightly) depressed.

4. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Moving Pictures. Without a doubt.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures

Those are mandatory to any prog fan and a good starter for a beginner Rush fan.

Also, Rush in Rio is amazing.

6. By 'Spirit of Radio' do you mean 'Permanent Waves'?

7. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    Looks like Moving Pictures, and if I like it I will start to invest in the rest of their albums.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yes, thanks for correction. My mistake. :D

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Their last 3 albums (Counterparts, Test for echo and Vapor Trails) show Geddy actual Jazz sound.
    You`ll find several tunes where you can hear his sound and style.

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures first, MP if you wanna hear his Jazz. I personally prefer Permanent Waves over Moving Pictures, because, IMO, the songs on PW are more varieticious and less samey sounding than on MP.

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'd say Signals, Counterparts and Test for echo. Both have my favourite bass lines of all.

ANDRUCA

12. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Ditto on Moving Pictures . . .

However, I love his layered playing on Vapor Trails and Different Stages is 3 cd's - two of which he was playing the Fender on - and you can get the "live" sound.

13. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Signals
    Rush in Rio
    The album with Freewill - I don't remember the title.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Honestly, if you're completely new to Rush and want a very good overview of 2/3rds of their career I'd pick up either the "Chronicles" double-disc set or the "Retrospective I: 1974-1980" and "Retrospective II: 1981-1987". I personally like "Chronicles" as it is in chronological order compared to the "Retrospective" releases, the great liner notes, and although minimal I prefer the selections (a few unreleased/non-album tracks).

...but you really can't good wrong with either, they end up costing about the same, and give you a nice selection of his playing throughout their early-to-mid career.

15. I'd recommend Rush in Rio. A great overview of the band's catalogue, and Geddy plays his Jazz throughout.

16. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    Just picked up The Spirit of The Radio, though I usually dont buy greatest hits albums, mainly beacuse the Moving pictures they had at Best Buy said moving pictures on the cover but the track list was that of 2112. I must say I am now a fan. If I had the cash I would get all of their albums right now, but since I dont like to mess around with credit that will have to wait till another day. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

17. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Agreed. The only songs on this album that Geddy uses the Jazz Bass on are "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight"

18. Geddy's most mathematically challenging basslines, IMO, are all over Signals. Ged hit his creative peak in 1982 (on bass that is...after listening to Vapor Trails I'm convinced he is just now peaking vocally.)

19. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    My recommemdations would be A Farewell To Kings,Hemispheres,Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. All the live albums range from either good to stellar.

20. Yeah, good call. "Digital Man" still knocks me out.