Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy's "Modern" Tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by KronRider, Jun 21, 2002.

1. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    Hey whats up guys... has anyone listened to Rush's new albumVapor Trails or Geddy's solo album My Favorite Headache and, if so, what is your input on the sound of his bass as compared to the old stuff???????

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I have never been a huge fan of his tone but I like his older tone more.

3. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami
    dude that Ricky cranked back in the Day....I read somewhere though that he later switched to a 75'ish jazz bass cause he it gave him more low end
    now it just sounds stale or weak or something......

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...err...well...I really liked the tone he got on "Different Stages". That distorted jazz bass kicks ass! But, sometimes I think his tone gets too muddy.

The Ricky tone was awesome, too.

5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    As I've noted elsewhere, I am not particularly enamoured of Geddy's tone on Vapor Trails. When the basses don't sound like mud (likely due to too much layering), they're almost subsonic. His tone on Vapor Trails is bottom heavy (even for a bassist) and generic-trendy --IMHO. Although it's not my favorite Geddy tone, his parts on MFH sound much better to me.

I truly miss the Ric: that was the sound that started me on bass. Even the Wal, which lacked bottom, was a really unique sound. The Jazz can sound good, as it did on some of the Moving Pictures tunes, but I'll have to admit that my interest in his playing has waned since he made the permanent switch to the J-bass.

6. I must be a weirdo...my favorite tone of his is his P-tone from the debut album.

I used to love the tone on Different Stages, but I've come to realize that it's very muddy. I wish he would use a cleaner, more modern sound...

7. i agree that his tone could be a little more defined. however, i think i does fit well with the overall sound of the album. i think the album rocks, but as a geddy fan, YES i would like more. btw, i think alex's guitar is just as muddy.

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I liked his Wal-era tone best.

9. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Agreed on Alex's Vapor Trails tone; probably also due to too much layering and no mid/bottom cut. As I've said before, the whole disc sounds like mud to me. I love it, but it's mud.

10. a bad sounding rush album is still 1,000,000 times better than most. btw why do they constantly change producers? can they not find the sound they like or what. its like they had terry brown forever and now its musical chairs. (no pun intended)

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They apparently feel that by changin producers every couple of CD's (or every CD), they can keep things fresh, stay current. It's not necessarily a bad thing.;)

12. Any thoughts on the brief Steinberger days???

13. yea, i know they have good reasons. i think they got burned out with just terry and now its like the exact opposite. vapor trails rocks out though. its about all ive listened to the past month. -peace

14. KronRider

KronRider

Jun 5, 2002
    Miami

15. I think switching producers every so often, if a band isn't self-produced, keeps the creativity level up. Theoretically, anyway. A band can always run into a Bob Rock or a Glen Ballard who isn't so much an enabler of creativity as a record company cop.

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    John Entwistle's Syndrome?

:D

17. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Although it's not the same relationship they had with Terry Brown, I would point out that Rush used Rupert Hine to produce two of their albums and Peter Collins to produce 4 of them. I do remember Geddy saying somewhere that a key to using Collins for Counterparts and TFE was that his approach to production changed dramatically from the days they worked together on Power Windows and HYF (which seems pretty self evident if you listen to the discs).

18. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    You're right about brief: I thought Geddy only used the Steinberger for about 1.5 albums. Personally, I much prefer the Ric and the Wal, but I thought he sounded fine during those days. Of course that seems to me to have been a very transitional time in his playing style and the band's sound.

In listening to Counterparts yesterday, I noticed that the tone of Geddy's bass on "Leave That Thing Alone" sounds like he's playing the Steinberger (or maybe the Wal). However, I thought he only used the J-bass on that album. Anybody have any insights?

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I love Geddy's tone on Moving Pictures. Granted the only other Rush albums I have are Vapor Trails and test for echo, so there's not much for me to compare it to. But man I can listen to Moving pictures over and over.

Oh yeah, what other Rush albums do you guys recommend?

20. Vapor Trails, as an album, not just the bass, sounds terrible for my ears. Very muddy, poorly defined, and there's a bunch of frigging clipping. It's an absolute travesty, which is why i'm boycotting it.

As for his bass tone on it, especially with all the layering and chordal stuff he's doing, he should be using the Wal... so much more definition.

Anyway, my favourite Geddy tone is Pete Collins' Wal he used on PoW, with Presto as a close runner up. *fires up Middletown Dreams*... that fret noise 7 seconds in... seems perfect there... and the growl in the second verse... that's pretty damn close to bass perfection...I love how articulate the Wal is, all the percussive sounds he got from it...

As for the Steinberger days, I really like that sound! *fires up The Body Electric*... killer!

Bap Bam!
    Bap Bap Bam!
    Ba-Da-Bam
    Ba-Da-Bam
    Ba-Da-Bam
    Ba-Da...

er...sorry.

Ooo that's a cool sound, I'd absoutely love to try a Steinberger some day!

Gee I love GuP.

Sorry.

Anyway, his tone on MFH was pretty cool. I love the tone he got on Counterparts, especially Animate, with that SVT driving the Trace Elliot cabs... killer midrange honk!

All the alternate tunings and double-trackins on T4H bother me... I hate having to change the tuning on my bass.

The Rickenbacker tone on Hemispheres is great too, as is the Jazz on MP.
    Basically I've liked all of his tones, except the P-bass and now VT, but the Wals are my favourite.

--jeff