1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy's Neck and punch!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, May 6, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    OMG!

I finally got out and played a store full of basses

Everything from Yamaha's to Musicman to Sandberg (i'm in Germany)

The Geddy Lee blew me away. The neck is so slim, I thought it was too good to be true. Then I plugged the sucker in.. Man, can this baby punch. It had more snap to it than any bass I picked up.

So much character... damn

So, what gives here? Is it the neck, pick-ups, badd ass bridge or a combo of the three that give it that tone

It wasn't the very best balance bass I played, but I don't think I can beat the price or playability

Oh, I didn't dig the hum when one of the pick-ups were turned down, but I was i a room with TONS of lightening...

anyone know it fralin's stacked J's fit in the Geddy?

thanks

david

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    I say it's a combo of the 3. Specially that sweet bridge.

3. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    do you know of any other bass with that tone...

I mean a non-fender...

4. 70s fender jazz basses. A fender is a fender and that's it. It's a combo of the complete construction of the instrument. Other clones can come close ....

5. Yeah, I'm pumped on my GLee for the exact same reasons. I figured it was the best bass for my buck.

I originally planned on replacing the pickups, but after a while I realized that I didn't need to.

My only gripe would be the bridge. At first it's all cool and high tech looking, but after a while the Chrome plating starts to chip off and it looks like a cheap plastic part, visually I mean. Not a fan of chrome plating. Why couldn't they make the badass II out of stainless????

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I actually thought of returning mine after I bought it but decided to give it some time... The pickups are a wee bit on the 'low-output' side, but the amp can take care of that. They do sound incredible... Sorry, that buzz is the price you pay for the nice tone!

What turned it around for me was swapping out the BadassII for a standard, thin, Fender bridge... I know... that's heresy for some, but the bass just wasn't 'speaking' in the middle positions. Swapping bridges really opened up the tone and let the middle of the neck come alive...

The neck also took a bit of getting used to, but now it's great feeling! All in all, a wonderful bass. I'm certainly not going to be selling mine anytime soon!!

-robert

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Blade Tetra. I have a Fender 62 reissue Jazz and I prefer the Blade.

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I don't like the idea of a artist bass,makes me feel like a groupie,but this bass made me overcome that feeling.I've stated it before but what sold me on the Geddy was the tone.I liked it much better than the S-1 Jazz.The neck felt just like the one on my other Jazz.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I also removed the badassII from my Geddy and installed a regular Fender bridge. I like the sound a whole lot more as it sounds more vintage to me. The regular bridge also brings back the lowend the badassII takes away. If you want a bass that sounds like Geddy's than do nothing to it but if you want a 70's jazz bass made of alder with a maple neck just do what we did here!

10. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005

did you have to modified it at all, or was it a straight swap?

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Drop in replacement, screw one out put the other one in!

12. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I'm interested in this as I've ALWAYS thought, and said here!, that my Geddy sounds terribly bottom light and thin.

You really think the bridge makes the big difference?
    Did you put in a new Fedner bridge, or find an old one?

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Absolutely made a difference, new or old doesn't matter as long as it's a standard Fender bridge.

14. asnarski

asnarski

Feb 27, 2006
    Dropping in some Duncan Classic Stacks fattened and debuzzed my GLee. Very happy with the tone! Next will be changing the controls to volume, blend tone.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Fender Jaguar has the Geddy pup's and same sized neck with a standard fender bridge plus passive/active electronics.