Geddys now manufactured in Mexico!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerman, Jan 15, 2004.

1. I phoned the local Long& Mcquade store asking about the Geddy Lees and they told me Fender moved the manufacturing to Mexico from Japan and that from now on all the Geddys come from Mex. Does anyone know if this is true? The Japanese ones seemed to be pretty excellent bang for the buck. Cheers
  2. lol, i bet this change doesnt come with a reduction in price... greedy bastards
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    mine was made in june 2003, still japanese.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Fender moved alot of the manufacturing to Mexico a few years ago.

I haven't heard about the Geddy being moved to the Mexico plant, though.
  5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Mine was made in Mar 03 and was crafted in Japan. Who knows?
  6. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    MIM now? Mine is MIJ. Where can I find out when it was manufactured?
  7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Dont believe it,the store I apprentice at is a Fender dealer and have been on personal terms with ther're managment for 30 yrs +,and there is ZERO truth to that statement,we got in a bunch of new G.Lee basses with 2004 serial numbers and they were "CRAFTED IN JAPAN BASSES"
  8. That's what I was hoping to hear,Sad when some of these big corps. ruin a good thing. Even sadder when an employee of a huge chain gives out false info. Not to say the Mexis have'nt gotten a whole lot better. Cheers
  9. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    They may have been "crafted" in Japan....but where were they assembled?

Does anyone know for sure that the parts weren't made in Japan and shipped to Mexico for assembly?
  10. It's time to set the record straight about the Geddy Lee, and stop all of these rumors.

The Geddy Lee is now made in Mexico, by authentic Spanish-speaking Mexicans, from parts lovingly crafted in Mexico.

Except for the neck. That's made of 100% pure alder, imported from Tasmania.

The finished basses are sent from Mexico to Corona, California. But Corona is also the name of a Mexican beer. So when it comes right down to it, Geddy Lee's are 100% Mexican.

In jest,;) ;) ;)

Mr. GG
  11. This is your only warning. Any more outbursts like that will result in a ban request.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If that were the case, The Dillion GL clone would probably be a better quality bass than a MIM GL.