1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gee, Laklands Are Nice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Sep 15, 2010.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I was in GC trying whatever was within reach and I happened upon a used Daryl Jones Lakland signature ($799) model. If I didn't already have a Lake Placid Blue Jazz Bass, I might have bought it right there and then.

Man, the bound fingerboard felt GREAT and the thing played spectacularly well. I think I can see what the fuss is about. Just very solid feeling and comfortable. Like a Jazz Bass on steroids. Niiiiccce.

Perhaps the most interesting comparison would be head-to-head with an MIA Fender. New, it would cost significantly more. But it seems like you also get more.

2. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I love my DJ. The best neck in my book.

added: So, GC Rockville has it...Hmm, I've gotta check it out.

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Yep, GC Rockville on Twinbrook Parkway. Got that tort pickguard, too, and matching headstock. Loved it.

4. I tried a Lakland 4-94 in mylocal music shop the other day. I really enjoyed playing that bass. I think I kept it in the testing room for about 20 minutes. lol It's the only Lakland they have in stock; they keep it locked up in a glass cage. They're asking $3099 for it.

5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Must be a USA one; the Skyline I played I think is made in Korea.

6. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    New, the price would be a bit less than an MIA Fender J. I should say "was", since the DJ is no more (Daryl went back to A basses). Lakland has a new, pretty similar model (different upper horn) called the 44-75, but it's only a US model for now.

But yes, the DJ is pretty sweet. That was my first Lakland, the gateway drug.:D

7. blindfolded i doubt you could tell the difference between a usa and a skyline.

go skyline.

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Probably so. But with the USA ones, you get a few more color options and other perks. But you're right, the Skylines are great.

I want their bound-and-blocked rosewood P in Surf Green. But it'll cost me over four grand. My car isn't worth half that!

Oh, here's the bass I played today.

9. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area

I picked up a beautiful 4 year old USA 4-94 Deluxe a year or so ago for about $1600. Best bass purchase I ever made.

10. I played an Asian semi-hollow Lakland a few months ago. I still keep thinking about that bass.

11. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    dj is the best bass made - killer sound and killer looks

12. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Skyline now made in Indonesia, not Korea. Change happened with the last two years, I think.

13. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    They're full hollow-body actually ;)

cj2.jpg

14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Good to know. I wonder if it's the same factory Fender uses.

15. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    My Lakland is everything I like in a P-Bass and more. It's nice and heavy (about 9-1/2 lbs) with a big fat neck. Strung with a nice set of flats like D'Addario Chromes, it thumps like an amplified, pissed-off rabbit. I'd say it compares very favorably with any MIA Fender I've ever played. Seriously, the only thing I would like better is if the width were 1-3/4...or even 1-5/8, but a quarter of an inch ain't killing me.

For the bound-and-blocked lovers among us, I present my '07 Skyline Duck Dunn (now 44-64 custom).
    P1060374.jpg

16. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Love your bass. So what is the actual neck width, then?

17. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Duck Dunns (44-64 Custom) are 1.5", a Jazz neck. The Bob Glaub (44-64) is 1.75." The 5-string Glaub is 1.81, liker all Lakland fivers.

18. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    This, right here.

I had to make a choice between the blocks and my preferred width. I like the 1-3/4 better, but I have a Fender '70s Classic Jazz and several other 1-1/2 width basses that feel great, so I chose the B&B.

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lacklands are nice.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021