Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geezer Butler question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    What's Geezer's real name? I know it's not Geezer. I heard an interview with Ozzy and another member of Black Sabbath just a few years back (when they were first doing the reunion thing) ...anyway, I don't rememeber who was involved in the interview. They were on Loveline with Dr. Drew and Adam Carolla (they have great "interviews" because the musicians hang out and do a 2 hour call in show, I feel like they get great stuff out of them on that show...) So, Ozzy was there as was Sharon (to translate for Ozz ;) ) and I think either Bill or Tony was there. Somebody mentioned a man's name in a story about the old days and Ozzy asked "who the %$#@ is that?" to which somebody replied "It's Geezer" and Ozzy made a joke about how long he's known Geezer and he doesn't even know his real name. Sorry the details were so sketchy, but I know Geezer is not the man's given name. Anybody know what it is?

2. it says real name= "Terry Butler" in my Guinness Book of Rock Stars.

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why is he called Geezer. Was he the "old man" of the group when they started out or something? :confused:

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

That's it. Thank you.

5. http://www.black-sabbath.com/interviews/geezer_0494.html

Geezer (real name Terry) explained the origin of his nickname right off the bat. "It's English slang for 'man.' I always used the word when I was a kid so eventually everyone used it on me. It's been my name since I was ten!"

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    How about Ozzy - John Michael Osbourne, if I'm not mistaken.

When my mom was pregnant with my much younger brother she was hounding everybody in the family for name suggestions. I had the "winning" suggestion - the one she and dad used. ...now bear in mind, my mother is very much not an Ozzy fan so I didn't tell her for many years where I came up with the name John Michael :D

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    In other related news - In the same Loveline interview I learned that not only did NIB never mean Nativity in Black (that phrase was coined for the title of the tribute album - which we all knew...) ...but NIB was never N.I.B. - it was Nib. (a word, not an acronym) Ozzy said that Geezer had been wearing a little goatee beard that looked "like a pen nib" so they started joking around calling Geezer Nib as a nick name. The song was named for Geezer's nib (on his chin) :p

here's a site that tells you what pen nib is, because I'd never heard of one and had to Google it: http://members.chello.se/blam/nibs/

8. And if anyone is interested, Tony Iommi's real name is Frank Iommi....Bill Ward being the only member who used his real name....

9. It's probably William Ward.

10. Now you're just being technical...

11. Don't you know I'm a friggin' French Canadian nitpicker! :D

12. The best story in rock is that Tony got no fingertips.......dont you think?

Lets talk about overcoming adversity....the guy is amazing.....

PS< I know he only misses a couple, it still is so ROCK.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No fingertips? What... explain?

14. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Ok to cut a long story short his name is Terence Butler. it says so in my black sabbath riff by riff book

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

... yep it is.

16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    "Geezer" is one of those words that changes meaning as it crosses the Atlantic... in America it means "old man", but in the UK, it just means "man"... but it's usually used to describe tough guys in somewhat dodgy occupations... tends to get used a lot in connection with gangsters! :D

Russ :bassist: