Geezer Butler signature pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeebHammer70, Jan 16, 2014.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Define "snarly and agressive" as you see it. Don't be expecting overdrive out of any of them :D

2. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Every bass is different and you just never know how a set of PU's will sound in any given bass till you try them. I will agree that the geezers are closer to vintage style pups. They sound very similar to the original pickups that were in my 60 Precision before they went bad years ago. They are definitely not hot pickups. That said, I have them in some of my basses and here's my .02.

In my 07 Am Std P Alder body Maple neck with LaBella Deep Talkin bass flats it's smooth and thumpy with a good amount of low mid punch. Just what you'd expect from a bass with flats. I never really liked the tone of that bass due to it always sounding middy and clacky. Adding the Geezers toned those honk mids down and added the low and low mid punch that bass needed. The difference is amazing in that bass.

My other bass has an Alder MIM P body and a MIM Rosewood J profile neck strung with Rotosound RS66L rounds. Totally different sound with that one. I Set my gain with a good amount of peak lit LED when digging in. Drop lows just a bit and a bit of low mid boost for punch. Then adding upper mids and a bit more highs makes that bass a killer for rock. Tons of bite, growl, and punch. Had a set of Nordy NP-4's in there before and the Geezers sound better to me.

My amp is a tc electronic RH450 and two tc RS112 cabinets. The amp has a baked in tone very similar to a vintage tube amp so maybe that explains why it growls so good when pushed. Very rock sounding. I can't remember the last time I was this happy with a set of pickups.

3. If you like mids and high mids with excellent clarity then the active AX are superior to the GZR in this regard and also output wise ... this of course IMO but let's say my O in this case is based on the direct comparison of two P basses I own, an ash made PB70 with the GZR and a plywood made Hondo II with the AX ... you can check the opinion of other people but the AX are really cool and I prefer them to the GZR although I couldn't install them on the PB70 without routing the control cavity (no place for the battery) and hence I bought the GZR for it immediately after (same issue with the Hondo but plywood can be manually excavated easily ehm ...) ... ah consider the look as AX do not have thd chassis exposed pole pieces !

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Certainly not. I've got plenty of tools for OD. I was thinking more upper mids and treble, less bloom in the upper bass. Sort of how Geezer sounds in Sabbath, haha. I can spin lots of knobs and get the, where I want them, but I tend to build/buy basses for a specific purpose and tone rather than getting general purpose ones and shaping them into what I want. The Geezers sound brilliant to be sure, and if this were a regular P-Bass they'd be staying, but the more I think about my goals for this bass the more I think something else might be more appropriate.

IMG_0423.JPG

5. Get place for the battery then !

6. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Plenty of room in the control cavity!

7. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The PAX or PX were definitely high on my list. I've got the JVX pickups in my Jazz bass and absolutely adore them. The top end is really something. Listening to clips I think the PAX might be just the thing for this bass.

To be clear: I still absolutely ADORE the GZR P pickups, just not for this particular bass.

8. Will S.

Will S.

Jul 1, 2015
    My apologies if I missed it, but what ever happened to the J set that was planned?

JimmyM likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Came out last year. It's called the jv52 set.

oysteivi and crucislancer like this.
  10. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    EMG Geezer set in my Squier Jag SS.

Just waiting for the knobs to come in.

Sounds great. Me likey.

IMG_0555.JPG

pudgychef and JimmyM like this.
  11. Yes but don't consider it because the bridge pickup is made of AlNiCo II and it will sound bad according to the general consensus here on TB (not according to me of course but I need to stop talking and follow the hype ...)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've never tried them, but I hear tell that you can get them both in Alnico 5 or Alnico 2 if you want. Contact EMG for more details.

13. Rob Turner's original design is based on the adoption of an AlNiCo V pickup for the neck position and an AlNiCo II pickup for the bridge position; I believe that also within EMG there was a general recognition of the nice tonal results that can be achieved by combining magnets of different materials.
    I don't know if one can have them with both pickups made of AlNiCo V, maybe yes, but I'd suggest to try them as they are first or to look at the active JVX in case AlNiCo V is absolutely a requirement :bassist::woot:

14. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I had a GZR installed in a P copy for a couple of years but didn't fully like it in that bass.
    I decided to drop it in one of my USA fender P's-strung with TI's
    I took it to rehearsal tonight and I was floored.
    That bass never sounded better and I'm over the moon.
    Highly recommended in a fender bass.

Lex P., mikew31 and JimmyM like this.
  15. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I had a GZR installed in a P copy for a couple of years but didn't fully like it in that bass.
    That bass never sounded better and I'm over the moon.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Two recommendations are always better than one! :)

Coolhandjjl and JimmyM like this.
  17. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I had a GZR installed in a P copy for a couple of years but didn't fully like it in that bass. This bass was a slightly shorter scale and the PU wasn't exactly in the fender location. For some reason, it just didn't do it for me and I knew the recommendations were high for the EMG.
    That bass never sounded better and I'm over the moon. It was all there. Dead quiet electronics too.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    JimmyM likes this.
  18. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    If there is, I can't tell.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. 3 is even better than 2

20. Tell us how you really feel.

Coolhandjjl and dannnnn like this.