Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geezer Butler

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Geezer's a monster. I love his playing on Mob Rules.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Geezer taugh me the importance of the Penatonic scale in rock music. :D Sometimes I think he played bass to much like a guitar though. Still an awesome player though.

3. geezer was the first bass player that i ever heard and was able to say thats the bass! he is a true master

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Geezer was one of my primary influences. His style is (well, really WAS) just so damned cool.

5. I think I read somewhere that he was a guitar player first. He's great though. I have an old video of Black Sabbath that's a kick to watch. Geezer rips!

6. I can remember being about 7 or 8 years old listening to my brother's paranoid album and even though I really didn't have an idea of what a bass was, I was humming along to the bass line of the intro to "Warpigs". Alot of bass players in the 60's and 70's either followed the guitar player or really didn't stand out in the mix, Geez was never one of them.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great, and very underrated bass player. My favorites of his to play are "War Pigs" and "Children of the Sea".

8. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

gEeZeR rAwKz

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Anyone listen to his new band? Its called Geezer.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Geezer was definitely a big influence on me. As a kid I worshipped Sabbath. One of the first bass lines I ever learned was "Paranoid". I used to play along with the first three albums... I knew all the songs. I didn't memorize all the vamping Geezer did in songs like War Pigs, but I think I can still play the solo before "N.I.B." note for note. "Mob Rules" was also a killer album.

11. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I havent. Is it any good? I heard Bill Ward's solo album a few years back....it sucked!

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Geezer's real name is Terry Butler. The bassist for Six Feet Under is named Terry Butler. Coincidence? I'll let you decide.

:D

I love Geezer's playing too. I am amazed at the way he plucks the strings with two fingers, using a "scooping" motion.

13. The album is called Plastic Planet. I haven't heard it yet, since I haven't been able to find it.

Geezer Butler has been one of my primary influences since I started playing bass. It seems kinda funny that he was the guy who bought a bass for the band cuz no one else wanted to play.