1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geezer Butler

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ok so i picked up a copy of the Heaven and Hell Tour recorded Live at Radio City Music Hall in 2007 (found it on clearance for $5.99 couldn't resist)

anyway it appears that Geezer has some sort of loop secured to the body of his Laklands just above the neck pup which he has his thumb stuck through!?....i guess to anchor his playing hand?....i suppose this is a very do-able idea...but i move around so much it seems to me that it would limit his abitilty to reach and or be able to change his tone by moving back and forth between pups which i find myself doing from song to song

anybody else seen this or heard of anyone else doing it? I have never noticed him doing this before this tour

anyone?

2. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Saw him about 10 years ago with Sabbath and he didn't have that. Perhaps he has developed some wrist problems with all that movement? Can you provide a pic?

3. been looking for one since i watched the vid and it appears i'm going to have to do a vid capture in order to get one....

I think there is a video being shown on Headbangers Ball of "Shadow of the Wind" from this concert it may show it but i have yet to watch that song in detail....

at first i thought it was a ring on his thumb, but when he waves to the crowd it is not there.....so it has to be mounted to the bass body

I'll see what i can do

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    bump for more info

5. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    I went back and looked at my copy and i have no idea what that is, gonna do some searching around and see if I can find anything. Didn't notice it before. Of course Geezer doesn't do a lot of moving around on stage so its probably not a big deal to him, I move around a lot as well so, personally, wouldn't like my thumb anchored like that to my bass.

6. i can't seem to find any info anywhere...

the vid captures are not working well for me....way to blurry to make out much detail

well considering he is 60 or 61 i'll excuse him from moving around a lot...lol

7. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    I saw that too when the vid first came out- I thought it was some kind of thumb wrap (not connected to the bass)... sort of like an ace bandage for the thumb. Looks like it has a soccer logo on it :) I asked about it and no one had a clue!

8. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Good topic this one, i'm 54 and a Gezzer die hard. Trouble with right hand finger work these days is the wrist angle. Unlike you pliable 'young'uns my wrist was never at optimum angle to strike the strings properly over a 3 hour set(s). Now this issue has caught up with me, can only imagine Gezzer has the same issue. Hanging your hand in free air to strike the strings is good for 30 seconds....resting your thumb cocks the wrist and limits free/fast movement. Like others i move the strike position for best sound at that instant.

Well it is only a guess on the "ring" rest mentioned for Gezzer, however the "mechanics" are obvious to us ancient players, slowly we are seizing up.....:). Regards