Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geezer butler?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassed dude, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Yes he's someone to look up to.

78 vote(s)
    88.6%
  2. Nah he's not that good, really

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. I'm not sure, he might make a difference

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Who's Geezer?

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. A thing i wondered when posting pictures of my fav bassists.

Are you inspired by Geezer butler or not??

i know i am.

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    My playing is very influenced by Geezer. NIB was one of the first songs I learned.

3. No, but i like him.

4. Yes. I began to learn how to play the bass on many sabbath songs over a decade ago in my first band. It was good fun. :D

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    he was bassist #1 for me... 1979 summer vacation with the family from across the street, I was 11 and searching for 'my' music. The other families late teen's stoner child hooked me up with his copy of 'Paranoid'.

I got my first bass a few months later :cool:

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I like him a lot. Sometimes he plays to much like a guitarist for me taste, but he defiantley adds a lot to Sabbath.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He concentrated on groove in a metal band... I recommend that everyone learn a geezer lick or two.

8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Geezer wrote many of Sabbath's songs:

Interview from here

How involved were you with the songwriting in Sabbath ?

I probably wrote 95% of them. Black Sabbath was written on bass: I just walked into the studio and went, "bah, bah, bah" (Hums riff to "Black Sabbath") and everybody joined in and we just did it. However long the song is was how long it took us to write it. So most of the stuff was just done from jams. Like "NIB" just started with me doing the bass riff and everybody joined in. In those days we didn' t have tape recorders or anything and nobody would write stuff at home and bring it to the studio. We just used to go to the studio and jam for two or three hours and see what came out.

Did you write a lot of the early stuff while you were recording it?

Definitely ! The first record, we just went in and played it. It was like Sabbath live but in the studio, and the producerjust cut out things. One song, "Warning," went on for like thirty five minutes, and he just cut out selected bits, like the twenty minute guitar solo! (Laughs)

9. I think the first song anyone ever learns is a Black Sabbath song. That or Merry had a little lamb.

10. Geezer...Geddy...Steve Harris...Sheehan...

my main influences

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    He was cool. I liked alot of his lines.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He has three aspects I really admire and have been an influence on me;

1. His tone - it has so much Entwistle "zing" to it but it also has an incredible "thud" factor

2. His plucking hand motion - It's very showy and makes it appear like he's working his ass off twice as hard as he really is. Admittedly, his strings are too high for me, but he really delivers the goods with respect to tone and showmanship.

3. What he did in the studio with his slides on "Supernaut" turned my head around. He isn't restrained by convention.

I don't think having a stable of Vigier basses would hurt me either. ;)

13. this smilie is SO appropriate for a Geezer thread
    :bassist:
    word; geezer rocks.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Geezer!!!! Creative, great lines, perfect fit for Sabbath. :bassist:

15. I remember when I first learned how to play Bassically(intro to NIB). I must have played it for 10 hours straight, stayed up all night. Definately great bass player and song writer. And to think that nowdays everybody and their mother has heard of that no-talent ass-wipe Ozzy and Butler, who wrote all the songs and made the band, making ozzy famous is practicaly forgotten. Man, I hate singers!!! happens everytime!

16. I think sometimes bass players get to worried about how complicated or fast a bass player is, sometimes you (we) need to just sit back and listen to what is being played and how it sounds with the rest of the band.

Geezer may not be the most "talented" players out there but what he played fit perfect with the music, and isn't that what it's all about.

:meh:

17. Geezer rocked man, he was an essential part of the Sabbath sound :bassist:

18. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Geezer rules, period.

19. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well said! I concur!

20. what does that mean? did you fart or something? just kidding:p