Geezer Butlers bass from 1975 (Warning: War Pigs Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robkphoto, Feb 26, 2010.

1. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anybody have any idea what kind of bass that is that Geezer is playing in this clip? Looks like it might have 6 strings. Love the soft sounds he's kicking out.

Cheers!

2. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    No telling. I think it's an 8 string though.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That is a John Birch, JB1 body style. John Birch built custom guitars in England for many artists of the day. Birch died 10 years ago and his company still makes guitars and basses. Slade was another user of these fine instruments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_(luthier)

4. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the info God of THUNDER. Pretty cool bass with a great sound. Apparently he worked on Tony Iommi's SG as well. Cheers!

5. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Some of Tony's Gibson SGs had Birch pickups in them others were John Birch guitars. I have a exact replica of Jim Lea's (Slade) John Birch Bass built by John Diggens of Jaydee fame. Here are a few pics. Jim Holding my bass and his 000_0065.jpg Jim signing my bass jimmysignbass.gif and the bass in front of my rig,btw the Hiwatt DR201 is a '75 from Slade's backline:) SladeHiwattJimLeabass001.jpg

6. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    This picture is a little clearer 100_2049.jpg

7. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    YES!

[​IMG]

8. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Amazing! Thanks for posting!!! Killer set up that you have there. Is that your main bass? What does the fifth knob that's mounted over the pickguard do. Is that a blend control for the 2 pickups?

9. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    The JD is not my main bass but certainly one of my favorites. Slade was one of my favorite bands when I was young ( they still are) Jimmy is such a fantastic bass player, very underrated. Some very nice people I meet on a UK Slade forum pointed me in the right direction to get this built. Jim even put his bass up as a pattern and signed mine. The fifth knob is a built in distortion, the knob is the knob off Jimmy's very own bass ! How cool is that ?

10. BC8705

BC8705

Mar 25, 2009
    Denton, TX
  11. thunderider

thunderider

Mar 16, 2011
    i live about 2 miles from the jaydee work shop!!...;) its in a craphole part of birmingham,to look at the work shop it looks derelict,like the rest of the street!!! u wouldnt think it made quality guitars there!

12. thunderider

thunderider

Mar 16, 2011
    hmmmmm nice but does it sound like a ricky?!!!!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021