Geezer question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jan 29, 2003.

1. i noticed that any video of geezer he plays with his right hand like four or five frets down from the highest one. what are the advantages and disadvantages of this, etc? is this how he gets his unique sound? thanks guys.
  2. The strings tend to hit the frets too, creating a Hi-Hat effect from a drum kit.
  3. Are we talking about the Geezer From Black Sabbath? cuz I didnt know that he tapped.
  4. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    I think their talking about Geezer Butler. He was in Black Sabbath and I think he's Ozzy's current bassist? Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think they're talking about him tapping, I think they mean just general fingerstyle. He does play with his right hand up on the neck, and I do think it gives him a distinctive sound, especially considering that he and Iommi tune down a couple of steps (or so I'm told). It gives Geezer's bass a really "bouncy" sound. Listen to Master Of Reality, that sound just saturates the album.
  6. Geezer isn't ozzy's current bassist, I don't think geezer was really ever close to ozzy, he did have his own band called G//Z/R and had an album release due but I haven't heard anything about it in awhile....perhaps I'll look it up.
  7. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Depends on which album your talking about. Black Sabbath and Paranoid seem to be pretty much standard tuning, while Masters of Reality and Vol .4 use some different tunings.

Actually I think (could be wrong) that Geezer played bass on a couple of Ozzy albums including Ozzmossis. Also, I'm not too sure Ozzy was too particularly close to any of the other band memebers. From interviews I've seen and read, it does seem that Geezer and Ozzy had less of a beef then Tony and Ozzy.

They are the best band of all time (With Ozzy, IMO) And luckily I got to see the whole crew back togather a couple of years ago for Ozzfest (I was too young to see them in their first incarnation) I had hoped to see Geezer pounding away on one of his old P-Basses, but all he pulled out were a couple of Deans. He didnt seem to play ontop of the neck on the Deans as he used to with the P's.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    He had two albums, the first he realsed under the name G/Z/R, and the second he spelled it Geezer. I haven't heard anything from the first album but I have his 2nd, Black Science. It's definatley heavy, both not sabbathy at all. I forget who the dude is singing, but he's awesome. If your into more modern metal (more like newer Minsitry, Prong ect.) you would probaly like the album. I love it. It has tons of groove.