1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geezer slap sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bigbass94, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
  2. He uses a J bass

3. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Play hard on or near the neck, VERY hard.

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I think you answered your own question there.

5. I didn't even know geezer slapped until now xD

I used to slap very hard until I got down the technique enough to barely have to... pull back I guess would be the term. But from past experience I would say he just knows how to fret the strings and no matter how hard you slap as long as you finger bounces back off the string quickly enough you should always get a fairly good sound.

6. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Geezer doesn't slap. He plays, as Geezerrman said, VERY hard on, or very near the neck with his fingers.

7. Thor2

Thor2

Sep 30, 2006
    The latest video footage from the Heaven and Hell tour show Geezer tearing it up on Lakland P-style and J-stlye basses - his playing was fantastic (as was the rest of the band) - far superior fare to the Ozzy side of things.

Cheers,

Edward

8. he played a 1962 fender p-bass for the first two albums. play really hard either right next to or on top of the fingerboard with your fingers. he never slapped any of that. personaly, the closest i've been able to replicate his sound was playin a mexican fender j bass through my friends eden rig

9. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    I dont mean like "funky" slap. I mean how he uses his index and middle finger and slap down on the strings.

10. Renny Gade

Renny Gade

Nov 1, 2006
    He doesn't get a loud clacking noise because I'm pretty sure Geezer cut the treble to the point that his tone was basically all lows and mids, very 'wubby'.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Basically, get like..... 6 ampeg 8x10s, and 6 SVT heads...

and then like

turn them all on, and stuff... and plug into them.

and then like, turn everything you possibly can as loud as it goes

blow a few speakers...

and like...hit the strings almost like you are tapping on a table.

then you have that geezer awsomeness.